Discuss 2 way switching wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’ve got Hall/landing 2 way switching.
Both switches recently replaced. I have a red cable on the 3 core that was initially in the common up and down. However the upstairs landing would only switch on/off from the bottom switch and then it didn’t switch on or off at all.

Taking the red out of the common means the upstairs light now switches on and off but a light next to it will only switch on if the upstairs landing is turned on.

Any ideas?

F4B32D35-3FDA-4926-84D3-6492814169DF.jpeg

7A47C5FD-E638-412E-9ECE-7D3AA39EABA1.jpeg

We have a couple of issues here before anyone can try and advise, one the chrome light switch has not been earthed and second the earths (bare wires) at the other switch are either not connected or cut off. The pic of the chrome switch is too unclear to see what is going on.

Last edited:
The picture isn’t great but the only wires in the 2 way are blue in L2 and yellow L1. There’s a common looped over from the switch next to it.
In its current state the it works. You can switch the landing light from the hall and the landing. However there is another light on the landing on a separate one way switch which now only works if the main landing light is turned on.
This other light does work if the red wire (currently out of the switch) is put in the common. However then the landing light is permenantly on and not switched.

what he said^^^^^^.you need the services of an electrician. should only cost about an hour's labour.

As above you need to get an electrician in or whoever installed the switches back. Which switch is upstairs (landing) and downstairs (hall)? What are the switches switching?

I’ve got Hall/landing 2 way switching.
Both switches recently replaced. I have a red cable on the 3 core that was initially in the common up and down. However the upstairs landing would only switch on/off from the bottom switch and then it didn’t switch on or off at all.

Taking the red out of the common means the upstairs light now switches on and off but a light next to it will only switch on if the upstairs landing is turned on.

Any ideas?

Yes, if you did the work yourself switch off the supply until an electrician has made it safe.
If you employed someone to do that then do the same but also seek legal advice as they have placed your life, and the lives of your family, at risk.

@gaz4701
Its a straight forward fix for an electrician, but as the other have said its not a job for you to tackle yourself, its not safe in its current state. Therefore its not just a case of putting the conductors back into their proper terminals but also making sure there is adequate fault & shock protection. As "westward10" said this takes priority over the correct operation of the switching arrangement.

I have seen it many times where some one has decided to DIY a new shinny metal 2 way switch not realising what requirements are necessary and end up mixing up the wiring arrangement also.

Reply to 2 way switching wiring issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net