Discuss 20a DP switch for light in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

still learning.

hi, would it be a no no if I was to use a 20a DP switch for a light,

the reason for using it is they want a light putting in a cupboard in a childs bedroom and a light switch with a light on it to indicate if the cupboard light has been left on and this is the only type of switch i can find.

I just was wondering if this was acceptable or if it went against the regs?

cant see a problem with that, as long as you are taking it from the lighting circuit. If you are coming from another circuit, you could always use a switched FCU with an indicator on, its doing the same job.

it will be ok, but you will also need a neutral to power the led. if you dont have a neutral, it wont light up, also, check that the switch box is deep enough as you dont want the wires squashing

No problem with that at all. Alternatively you could use a grid switch and grid neon configuration, which might be less cumbersome.
I'm pretty sure you don't need a neutral for a neon.

you do need a neutral for a neon. i have a dimmer sw that has no neutral but the small light on it still works, witchcraft i think lol

Do you mean you don't?
Like those horrible neon screwdrivers - you only need a live, and a conductive body for the lamp to light.

the neon in a 20a dp needs a neutral. this dimmer is called a reactive dimmer, or summit. no idea how it works. someone on here.ll tell me no doubt;)

the neon on a switch with no neutral works when the switch is in the off position. the idea is to be able to locate the switch in the dark. it works because it's wired across L and S/L, and sees the S/L as a neutral untill the switch is made.

Thought that when doing a MWC you were to test the circuit you have modified, not just your new bit.

Section 3 on the MWC is titled, INSPECTION AND TESTING OF THE MODIFIED CIRCUIT AND RELATED PARTS. to me this means all of it[FONT=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.parcel2go.com/dhl-parce...ml_dhltrackingalert&type=email&location=email[/FONT]

It doesn't state such on the model forms in BS7671.
There are 4/5 essential tests listed that should be caried out, some of them will include the existing part of the circuit.
Such as earth continuity, IR and perhaps if applicable an RCD test.
Now if you want to check Zs, polarity correct etc. at each point on the circuit, please do so, just be aware that it is not a requirement of BS7671 to do so.

Reply to 20a DP switch for light in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net