Discuss 20V to ground in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Martin_E

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I'm on vacation in Panama and got a minor electrical shock twice toughing the oven. Strangely now I can't reproduce it.
In the power outlet the tension to ground is 20V against both power cables. Between them it's 112V.
What's wrong with the ground?
Can that be the reason for the shock?

The ground is probably disconnected, and the shock is caused by leakage from the oven. The amount of leakage will vary as the heating elements are warmed and cooled, and your resistance to ground will vary, so you might not always get shocked.

The disconnected ground would also explain the apparent anomaly that 2 x 20V does not make 112V - the measurement you are taking to ground is not a true voltage measurement, it's a comparison of the insulation resistance with the input resistance of your voltmeter, and the figure it displays is arbitrary. With the oven connected, you might find it reaches almost 112V to neutral, hence the shock.

In the UK it would be considered dangerous and would be isolated and repaired before use.

Reply to 20V to ground in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am a complete novice when it comes to electrics but I have recently bought a grounding mat and so I've been doing some measurements and I'm...
Replies
Views
Hello, my name is Kelvin. I'm a trainee hydraulic engineer in Indonesia. I apologize if this question has been answered before / if this question...
Replies
Views
Hi, Our house is 150m away from the street. We installed a 600V step-up/down system to bring electricity to it in order to avoid excessive losses...
Replies
Views
Hi all. We have a 120v 20 amp circuit to an accessory dwelling with a run of about 75' of direct bury #12. The breaker keeps tripping even when...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm trying to add an additional outlet to a circuit in my house. I tested the outlet with a tester, and it showed as correct. The existing...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock