Discuss 220v Amps vs 110v Amps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

comet424

hi I been trying to read online but I cant find what I want

what I wanna know is

I asked a few electricans but each one gives me different answers

what I wanna know is at 30AMp 220v is that 15amps one line and 15amps on the 2nd line right?

as then someone else told me 30amps at 220v is really 60 amps at 110v

whats right?

im guessing the 15amps per line

Try rephrasing the question. I personally have no idea what you mean?

In terms of P=V x I, if 220V = 30A then the same circuit @ 110V = 60A :S

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to know how many "phases", "lines" are involved here, i.e. 3 phase or 2 phase, etc.

In the UK and most rating plates i come across quote amps per phase, i.e. 30 amps on each phase.
Hope this helps

ok and for all I know and been told there is no such thing as 2 phase as there is no degree of power like 3 phase 120 degrees, as 2 phase be 90 degress. As it is 220 single phase as its 2 lines coming off the same line. But
so since this site wont allow Enters now so I cant make it different lines one long line. but 220 Single Phase at 30 amps I get told you can make a breaker box and run 60 amps of 110volts but I don't belive that. As it be L1 and L2 on 220v single phase is only 15 amps per line so you can only run 2 110 volts at 15 amps constant right? some electricans tell me 220v 30amp single phase is 110v 60amp single phase. And other electricans told me 220v 30amp single phase is 110V 30amp single phase

hi I been trying to read online but I cant find what I want

what I wanna know is

I asked a few electricans but each one gives me different answers

what I wanna know is at 30AMp 220v is that 15amps one line and 15amps on the 2nd line right?

as then someone else told me 30amps at 220v is really 60 amps at 110v

whats right?

im guessing the 15amps per line

I think you all confused.

I am curious why your thinking of 110V, if this is because this is the voltage used on construction sites in the UK then you are comparing apples with melons. 110V is actually 55V dual live conductors (2x55V), there is no neutral. However 230V mains is single live conductor and a neutral.

To calculate current used in a system you need to do some maths..

P=V*I
V=P/I
I=P/V

Now your speaking about a load of 30A at 220V

P=V*I = 220*30 = 6.6kW

Assuming a voltage independent load, so power of the load remains the same...

I=P/V = 6600 / 110 = 60A

There is a problem with this though, loads with a fixed resistance, such as heater elements, will not draw twice the load if you halve the voltage.

R=V/I = 220/30 = 7.33Ω

So at 110V the same load will draw

I=V / R = 110*/ 7.33 = 15.00A

P=V*I = 11*15 = 1650W

Stop thinking about current on the neutral the circuit is AC (Alternating Current), the name gives it away.

The op is from Canada so I don't think it's 110V reduced low voltage.

ok you lost me you that 110v can have 60amps from 220v 30amp but on some loads like heaters you can only draw 15amps and is that 15amps per line. as I wanna go from a 220v 30amp and build a breaker box with outlets on it so then if it is 60amps at 110v I can have 4 outlets breakered at 15 amps 2 on each line. as I been told by other electrians that no matter 220 or 110 its still 30 amps you can pull so by that theory on 1 line from the 220 I can only still draw 15 amps

- - - Updated - - -

I not looking to reduce 110 volts just split a 220amp 30 amp into a box that delivers 110 volts as many as I can max it out in amps

Hi Comet, welcome to the forum.

I see your location is Canada, this may be the cause of some confusion because the Canadian and the uk electrical voltages are different.

Electrical supply in Canada is distributed as three phases (live/hot), a neutral and an earth or ground.

There are various ways you can connect a 2-wire load (appliance) to the supply. You can connect to any one of the three lives and the neutral which will supply 110v. Alternatively you can connect it to any two of the live supply wires which will give you 220v.

Drawing1.jpg

Which ever way you connect the appliance the current in one leg/wire of the supply will be the same as the current in the other leg.

oh I know u can go from breaker here in Canada 2 lines off the same breaker will give you 220volt single phase but I wanting to reverse it and know how many amps can I do but I just think I answered it. it be 30 amps as its single 2 single 15amp lines at 110 so that makes it 220v 30amps so then I can only draw 15 amps and have 2 outlets right?

if I confusing you all im asking is on a 220 30amp connection can I draw 60amps worth of electricity at 110 volt outlets I attach to it. or can I only draw 2 15 amp connections

if I confusing you all im asking is on a 220 30amp connection can I draw 60amps worth of electricity at 110 volt outlets

Yes, sort of, but how are you going to create your 110v from your 220v? You can't get out more than you put in, the energy stays the same (less efficiency losses).

Your system is the same as the US I believe so you have what is known as a 3 wire single phase system. eg between the two lines 240V and between line and neutral 120V. So your double pole breaker will be 240V. The rating indicated on that breaker (30A) will be for ''each'' of the two poles of the breaker.

By the way, the 220V and 110V are old hat now and have been for some time now, the new voltage bands are 240/120V. but i guess old habits die hard!!

its for djing I wanted a plug with 100 foot cable and at the end say have 4-6 outlets and you build it with a breaker box or hardwire L1 takes 2 outlets and L2 takes 2 outlets but I guess that wont work. all you can ever draw is 15 amps off each line? if the outlet is a 220v 30amp. id have to have the locations with 220v have like a 50 or 60 or even higher outlet right

Yes, sort of, but how are you going to create your 110v from your 220v? You can't get out more than you put in, the energy stays the same (less efficiency losses).

I'm thinking he's got a 3-phase and neutral or 2-phase and neutral circuit on a 30Amp breaker, he wants to supply multiple 110v single phase circuits from this and wants to know if the circuits can be 30A each or whether they must all add up a maximum of 30A or less. Don't rule out the fact I might be as confused as you are though....

Edit, sounds like he's after making a 3-phase 'trailing site box' with multiple sockets.

well they say 220-240 that's the range any lower then u have brown out. and same for 110-120 I just know the ranges are for the further from the substation you are the voltage drops from 120 to 110 I only get 115v from my current location as I far from the substation.

well most places around here is single Phase 220v. so take Example my Generator it puts out 7000 watts running 30amps at 220volts. that means on L1 and L2 its only 15 amps right? so when making 110 outlets you wire to each line then you can only draw 15 amps off each line and that means 30 amps at 220 right

- - - Updated - - -

and no 3 phase just single phase isn't 3 phase 320volt or something

- - - Updated - - -

or 550

I think your best bet, is to ask a local electrician to undertake any work you want doing. by the sound of it you'll end up killing yourself, or even worse, others!!

Also majorly depends on the amperage / current draw of the DJing kit and the AWG of the cable you use, too small an AWG cable for the load and it will get seriously hot, possibly set something or itself on fire, suffer massive resistance and volt drop issues, especially due to the length, you have in mind.
Also make sure the cable is grounded (don't do what one of my in laws does and rip out the grounding pins from the plug...the excuse "everywhere is 2 pin")
What sort of 220V outlet are you considering using? I might have half a clue on how to give you some more help if I know what outlet you have in mind...
(as far as I remember commando type plugs are....rare to put it mildly...in North America)

this getting confusing , and I have asked some electricians 1 says 220v 30amp is 110v 60 amps and another electrican says 220v 30 amp is still 110v 30 amps. now I know how to wire I wired my up place etc. I just wanting to know as if I use 10 gauge wire I can draw 30 amps at 220. so that means what I guessing is its only 15amps on each line. and id be using the twist and lock outlet probably to the standard house hold 15 amp outlets split L1 and L2 or with with 10 gauge wire can I draw 30 amps on each line? no one can tell me so that's why I asking. and I know its 3 wire and ground which doesn't make sense as its same as 4 wire both have 4 wires in the cable

Reply to 220v Amps vs 110v Amps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net