Discuss 230v european motorized pencil sharpener in 110v usa outlet bogs down in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Have a 220v (wired for Sweden) motorized pencil sharpener (Boston X-acto model 41). Since its a motor it does not work right, bogs down in 120v usa power outlet. What do i need maybe a transformer?

Have a 220v (wired for Sweden) motorized pencil sharpener (Boston X-acto model 41). Since its a motor it does not work right, bogs down in 120v usa power outlet. What do i need maybe a transformer?
@devtinagub welcome to the forum I’m assuming you are in the US and it’s never going to work right plugged in a 120vac outlet when it’s internally wired for 240vac. Even if you had a transformer Sweden has 240vac on 1 wire with a neutral. If you want 240vac in the states it would be 2 wires which would burn the sharpener up. My advise is keep that one for your travels and just buy a new one.

Even if you had a transformer Sweden has 240vac on 1 wire with a neutral. If you want 240vac in the states it would be 2 wires which would burn the sharpener up.

Care to elaborate on that one? If you can find a 120-240 Tx or a plug adapter for a US 240V outlet I see no reason the motor should care where its power comes from. I would double check that the neutral on the sharpener is not connected to the frame, though it should not be.

A 120V - 240V step-up transformer is needed. Check the power consumption in watts and get a transformer of equal or higher rating in VA. Technically VA and watts are not the same thing but it will be immaterial for a small intermittent load like this. I expect the motor is a universal brush motor in which case the higher frequency in the US (60Hz rather than 50) won't make any noticeable difference. If it's an induction motor it will run 20% fast and may have slightly reduced torque.

Regarding connecting 230V European appliances to 240V US supplies, all modern products sold in the EU and compying with the regulations will function with two 120V hots rather than a 240V hot and a neutral. It is not permissible for them to require one wire to be a grounded neutral, since they must be compatible with outlets that do not have fixed polarity. However, their safety approvals may be invalidated by such usage so it might not be correct to recommend it.

A penknife will not function as a step-up transformer. Not even the 97-tool MegaSwissMaxiPocketBuster has a flip-out 100VA autotranny. It has a great selection of blades and countless other gadgets but won't help the OP sharpen any pencils :)

A penknife will not function as a step-up transformer. Not even the 97-tool MegaSwissMaxiPocketBuster has a flip-out 100VA autotranny. It has a great selection of blades and countless other gadgets but won't help the OP sharpen any pencils :)
Beg to differ Lucien. Man was using a knife to sharpen pencils long before electric sharpeners were invented. ?

The term pen knife has lost its true meaning over the years. Originally made for the purpose of sharpening feather quill pens hence pen knife. Now any folding pocket knife is called a pen knife although no longer used for such a purpose.

you can use a 240 > 120 backwards
to boost 120 up to 240
such transformers are readily availible

so much more response than i thought id get but for something id actually try just couldnt bring myself to any. probably because i had another solution to my actual problem (bought euro model hoping to be able to use since it was new) the gear on my us model was stripped. so just swapped gears;). now we have spare parts when needed esp. sparpening blades will be useful when these get dull. afaik motor/wiring is the only different part. thanks though did learn quite a bit. mostly parts are good but motors arent swappable with foreign powers.

Reply to 230v european motorized pencil sharpener in 110v usa outlet bogs down in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock