Discuss 230V floodlights operated by 2 12V PIRs through a transformer/relay with control box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

Frank Spencer

Hello,
I would be very greatful if someone could help me with this problem. 2 x 230V flood lights are switched by a system consisting of 2 x 12V PIR sensors via a relay type setup with a control box. The 12 and 230v wiring goes into the relay box. There is some sort of control box (12V I think) consisting of a slider switch with 5 positions: a symbol of a person running, 1, auto, the symbol of a bell and 0. Underneath looks like two circular dials for light/dark and time. The whole lot is supplied via a FCU and is situated in a stable yard. The customer states that the lights come on but do not go off. I havent come across security lighting of this type before (have only done 230V domestic security lighting) so would be greatful for any suggestions about where I could get parts, what might be causing the problem, what the components of the system are called or even if I have overlooked something obvious. There are no manufacturers names on any of the parts. Complicated I know but thank you in advance if you could give me any information.

Re: 230V floodlights operated by 2 12V PIRs through a transformer/relay with control

Running------Only ON whilst peron in range (this one's a guess)
1------------Permanently ON
Auto---------Normal mode, off after time delay
Bell----------Activated by the Intruder alarm (or activates a bell or the intruder alarm)
0------------Permanently OFF

Either the time delay is turned to Max, which is forever.
Or the time delay control is Fubarred

Is it coming on when dark and going off when it's light, as in Photocell control?

Re: 230V floodlights operated by 2 12V PIRs through a transformer/relay with control

Not certain, but I think Smiths Timeguard did a system with multiple ELV PIR sensors on a control box, driving multiple lights. I never fitted one and don't know whether they still do it. I think you could buy a chime module for warning if someone was approaching the house, without turning the lights on, eg daytime.

Might be worth just fitting a couple of mains PIRs and chucking the control box if the new wiring runs are easy enough.

it could be a GED system. 12V PIRs to a central controller. google GED and see if their gear is the same.

Not certain, but I think Smiths Timeguard did a system with multiple ELV PIR sensors on a control box, driving multiple lights. I never fitted one and don't know whether they still do it. I think you could buy a chime module for warning if someone was approaching the house, without turning the lights on, eg daytime.

Might be worth just fitting a couple of mains PIRs and chucking the control box if the new wiring runs are easy enough.

I think you have it here , my mate has a similar set up but I cant remember the exact set up.it warns of the zones activated

Frank if you do'nt get it sorted PM me and I will go and have a look for you. He is the type that will have the manual filed away.

If it hasn't been touched it could be one of the PIR's that gone. Try taking one out the circuit and see if the fault remains and then swap.

Frank you get a wife called Betty???? If you have keep well away !!!!

Thank you to all who replied; I was provided with very useful information. Also liked the jokes, shows you are a friendly bunch.

Reply to 230V floodlights operated by 2 12V PIRs through a transformer/relay with control box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock