Discuss 230v install into a caravan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been given a really interesting job to do, and that's to retrofit a vintage caravan with 230v. Another company is doing the renovation work, I'm just tasked with the electrical work.

Now, there's a lot in section 7 of BS7671 to do with caravans, but it is vague on the earthing. My assumption is to treat it as I would a house, and that's to ensure bonding to any metalwork in the carvan (ie it's frame, any waterpipes and/or gas pipes), and I assume, if I've read this correctly, the availability of an earth cable to an earth rod, to keep the earthing separate from the PME supply at a caravan site.

The other vague description in BS7671 is the cable type to be used in the caravan. It seems to imply that regardless of the cable being used, it must be in conduit to avoid mechanical damage due to vibration.

Really looking forward to this job, something totally different. Anyone else done such as job ?

As far as i know, having a touring caravan myself, all the wiring is done in flex, rather than T&E, and its not all 230v. Some of it is 12v off a leisure battery. For use when there is no mains hook-up. If its always used on mains power, the battery side isnt required.

Its the sockets of the caravan park itself that requires earth rods... not the caravan. Just a 16A inlet plug on the side somewhere, connected to the hookup via a suitable length extension lead. (16 male to 16 female)

Thanks for the replies. I've been to one end of Section 7 to the other and can't see anything on restrictions on the cable type, except it has to be flex, so I assume something like H07rn-f and 3093Y would be fine, 2.5mm sockets, 1.5mm lights, mind you I could probably get away with 12V DC for the lights.

So is this a touring van or is it going to be used as a static on a permanent site
If it is going to be used as a touring van then you will need to look at how the 12VDC and 230VAC are integrated
If you know someone with a modern van it may be worth looking at how it is wired to get an idea of what you need to do

My touring 'van has just two DP MCBs for the 230V side - a 16A and a 6A.
All the socket wiring is 1.5mm2 3083Y and the fridge, water heater and 230V lights are in 1.0mm2.

My touring 'van has just two DP MCBs for the 230V side - a 16A and a 6A.
All the socket wiring is 1.5mm2 3083Y and the fridge, water heater and 230V lights are in 1.0mm2.
You got 230v lights? Mine are on the 12v side. One of the breakers does the battery charger.

12v does lights, auxiliary sockets, a car type radio, tv amp and 12v for fridge… which also runs on 230 and gas.

Heating is gas, but timer and ignition is 12v

230 is only general sockets, and battery charger.
There is an outside socket for use in the awning… but I’m thinking it may have its own breaker so it can be isolated separately. (?)

Reply to 230v install into a caravan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net