Discuss 2330 level 3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

stevo333

I'm coming to the end of my 2330 level 2 course, but have been unsuccessful in trying to find work and was just wondering do you need to have electrical work to be able to complete the 2330 level 3 course?

Some people have said you do, and some have said you don't, so I'm a bit confused. I thought it was only the NVQ level 3 that requires you to be employed.

Also, while I'm here, what's the score with the AM2? do you need to be employed to do that?

My plan was (if unsuccessful in my job hunt) to do the 2330 level 3 course next year and do the AM2 straight after, which would (in theory) give me a better chance of finding work the next year in order to complete the NVQ level 3.

Hopefully somebody whos more clued up than me can shed some light on the situation and clear things up for me.

Cheers

Hi, you DO NOT need to have work in the trade to do your Level 3 2330, however, if you are not working you will obtain the 2330 Level 3 Technical Certificate, if you are working then you will get the 2330 Level3 NVQ, you will need the NVQ version if you want a JIB card and want to work for a established firm, Im 36 and have just come to the end of my 2330 L2, i wont be doing the NVQ at my age!, as my aim is to be self employed in 3-4 years

Im not sure what the situation is where u study, but historically the 2330 Lev3 has always been a part time 2 year course + work experience, but due to the complete lack of apprentiships around, the college where i study are seriously thinking of doing it full time, 1 year like our Level 2

Mike

I'm coming to the end of my 2330 level 2 course, but have been unsuccessful in trying to find work and was just wondering do you need to have electrical work to be able to complete the 2330 level 3 course?

Some people have said you do, and some have said you don't, so I'm a bit confused. I thought it was only the NVQ level 3 that requires you to be employed.

Also, while I'm here, what's the score with the AM2? do you need to be employed to do that?

My plan was (if unsuccessful in my job hunt) to do the 2330 level 3 course next year and do the AM2 straight after, which would (in theory) give me a better chance of finding work the next year in order to complete the NVQ level 3.

Hopefully somebody whos more clued up than me can shed some light on the situation and clear things up for me.

Cheers
our college said you had to be working in the trade to complete the third year. loads werent so they just said they were self employed sparks and did a letter stating the fact on their own letterhead paper ;)

Hi, you DO NOT need to have work in the trade to do your Level 3 2330, however, if you are not working you will obtain the 2330 Level 3 Technical Certificate, if you are working then you will get the 2330 Level3 NVQ, you will need the NVQ version if you want a JIB card and want to work for a established firm, Im 36 and have just come to the end of my 2330 L2, i wont be doing the NVQ at my age!, as my aim is to be self employed in 3-4 years

Im not sure what the situation is where u study, but historically the 2330 Lev3 has always been a part time 2 year course + work experience, but due to the complete lack of apprentiships around, the college where i study are seriously thinking of doing it full time, 1 year like our Level 2

Mike
we did 2 years part time for level2 and 1 year part time for level3 ;)

Last edited:
My College does L3 over a year too.Either 2 evenings or 1 day a week,and no you don't have to be in the trade
I'd prefer to go on to NVQ3 afer L2-Is that possible.On the Guilds web site it says you have to do L3 first though.Whether it's another con to make more money for the Guilds I don't know

My College does L3 over a year too.Either 2 evenings or 1 day a week,and no you don't have to be in the trade
I'd prefer to go on to NVQ3 afer L2-Is that possible.On the Guilds web site it says you have to do L3 first though.Whether it's another con to make more money for the Guilds I don't know
think its just a college thing regarding being in the trade for the third year as everything steps up a gear and they want to maintain their pass marks :rolleyes:

My college is the same with L3. But I'm getting conflicting stories about the NVQ L3 qualification. My tutor believes that it is neccessary to be an electrician. But other people I have spoken to say otherwise, it is not the be all and end all.

Some firms and the JIB request you have it for electrician grading. But if your going it alone and have relevant knowledge/experiance you dont have to have it.

Hi mate im in the same situation just comin to the end of my C&G level 2. My college have said normally they prefer people 2 be in employment to do level 3 but due to the current climate every1 will be able to come back if they want. Best thing 2 do is just ask your college tutor coz so many seem to be different.

The NVQ level 3 is a site based qualification which can be done IN CONJUNCTION with the C&G level 3 but is not absolutely necessary 2 be called 'AN ELECTRICIAN'. However, you cannot get a JIB card without your nvq level 3 and this may have implications in the future if you want to get onto larger building sites where some companies insist on a JIB card.

Someone may well correct me on this but I think it all depends on which direction you want your career to head. If you are gonna go self employed and stay on the domestic side then you probably wont need the NVQ 3. C&G levels 2 and 3, 17th ed, and 2391 inspect and test will suffice.

One more point, I think the NVQ 3 requires different levels of site experience from industrial, commercial and domestic which makes it even harder when trying to get with an employer!!

Tough times but stick at it mate

Reply to 2330 level 3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock