Discuss 2330 or Part P and 17th Ed? (URGENT) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bane

Hi people,

Well as some of you may and may not know, I am due to enrol on college tomorrow for my 2330.

Now, everything was fine up until 30mins ago when I spoke to an electrician and he reckons I'm wasting my time doing the 2330.

He reckons I'd be better off doing my Part P then my 17th Edition first. Get some work and see where I go from there.

Found this link for the Part P:
Bpec Part P Electrical Course (Full Scope) - PPL Training

Now bear in mind, it's going to cost me almost a grand for my first year of the 2330 and for the same price I can get my Part P done in 6 days!?!

Needless to say guys and girls this has thrown a spanner in the works and messed with my head a little.

What do you guys suggest?

Part P and 17th Edition or 2330 and 3-4yrs at college?

Can I go into the Part P 'cold' as it were?
(My experience is limited to trunking/tray/basket/conduit etc. Never done calculations etc but I'm academically confident)

Advice needed ASAP please!

*Can't believe been told this a day before I'm due to sign up and pay course fees*

Go with the 2330 is my advice Bane mate.

In the part P courses (so far as I'm aware) there is no mention of three phase/ limited calcs / no basket,tray,trunk,micc work (not sure if your shown how to terminate swa, my cousin wasnt) / very limited testing.

Nothing against the 5 day wonder lads but if you have the course ready to roll I'd stay on the 2330, you'll benefit far more belive me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bane,

I am inclined to agree with Easyfox. Whilst the Part P course may look attractive as a "short cut" to being an electrician, it will not be as well looked upon as 2330 generally within the industry.

If you tell potential employers that you have enrolled, at your own expense, on 2330 they will appreciate the fact that you are serious about being in the industry and that you are looking long term at things. They will also like the idea of employing someone as a mate who is financing getting qualified themselves and once you have got your first year done they are likely to support you for the second year.

The scope of 2330 is obviously more than the short courses and the knowledge required is considerably more.

Personally I would stick with 2330.

Good luck my friend.

Tony

Thanks EasyFox, Tony.Towa very much appreciated guys.

The reason I was thinking of Part P and 17th Edition is just so it'd also look good on the CV when contacting potential employers.

But, on the flip side it's a bit like having a driving licence without having actually driven isn't it? (Maybe a crap comparison).

I'd gain the qual but won't have actually put any of it into practice (real time).

Anyway, think, sorry, I WILL be going ahead tomorrow morning then. Going to cost me just short of a grand for the first year!

Cheers cirrus!

Just so you know Bane,

My youngest son did exactly what you are planning and he got plenty of work as a mate as a result and gained the practical experience during the time he did the course.

Showing that you want to do something still counts for a lot in this industry.

I sure hope that'll apply to me also Tony!

Thanks again for all your help, will keep you all posted on my progress.

Well, I'm signing off for the night.

Will check back on here tomorrow morning before I head off to college so any other comments/opinions appreciated.

Laters.

Bang on Tony.
I'd sooner take on a lad or ladett that had shown some get up & go, by putting themselves through the first year. To me it shows the committment that a potential employee has in the industry.

Me too Easyfox. Commitment is key and people who show it tend to come up trumps.

Not quite sure what the part p course entails but is obviously only domestic.:confused:
Completed my 2330 this year and that covers domestic commercial and industrial in depth.;)
If a 6 day course was any good i think we would all have jumped on that instead of spending 3 long years studying and attending college 2 evenings a week!!!
For me there is only one way to go.;)
Best of luck with what you decide.

Your courses seem very expensive up north. Down here the college charge £1200.00 for the 2 years. is that the norm?

As for the 2330, stick with it Bane. You are not going to be getting the equivalent level of training on the other course and you will be more employable with 2330.

i did my 2330 at thurrock college in essex.
it was £430 for the first year £550 for the second year and £636 for the third year.
this year it is £740.50.
not a bad inflation rate theyve got going on there is it???

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

Today ended up being a bit of a farce.

Turned up, packed out with candidates, thought, 'Bolloc*s, going to be here all day'

Managed to jump queue.

Asked me for my paperwork.

None.

Assessment form?

Nope.

Anything?

Nope.

Sent to another room, explained the deal and, thankfully, was told that I didn't need to come in today as they have my details and as I'm on adult learning they'll be in touch shortly to confirm start dates etc.

However...Still not CONFIRMED on th course yet *Sweats* though the course tutor says there shouldn't be a problem with getting me on.

And just to clarify costs:

£200 Registration fee
£200 Exam fee
£540 Tuition fee

Now, what really gets on my nipples is because I'm signing on, I should be entitled to a £700 waiver of the fees BUT because my partner earns over --- amount, I don't.

Bum.

Thanks for all the replies.

Today ended up being a bit of a farce.

Turned up, packed out with candidates, thought, 'Bolloc*s, going to be here all day'

Managed to jump queue.

Asked me for my paperwork.

None.

Assessment form?

Nope.

Anything?

Nope.

Sent to another room, explained the deal and, thankfully, was told that I didn't need to come in today as they have my details and as I'm on adult learning they'll be in touch shortly to confirm start dates etc.

However...Still not CONFIRMED on th course yet *Sweats* though the course tutor says there shouldn't be a problem with getting me on.

And just to clarify costs:

£200 Registration fee
£200 Exam fee
£540 Tuition fee

Now, what really gets on my nipples is because I'm signing on, I should be entitled to a £700 waiver of the fees BUT because my partner earns over --- amount, I don't.

Bum.

Bane, which year are these costs for ?

C&G2330 L1, L2 or L3

Bum.

Thats where you are going wrong Bane mate, should say she's not my partner she's my carer, you'll be alright then :rolleyes::D.

Thats what Mrs easy says she is my carer, but will soon be my executioner if I dont get on and do these quotes :eek: :eek:

Quick update.

College phoned me on Friday to enrol.

Did it.

Start on Mon 8th Sept.

Only ended up costing me £240! (Because i's my first NVQ)

Very impressed! All I need now is a job :)

Glad you got things sorted and you got a good price.

Any questions just post them on the forum and we will try to answer them, but as you got the course cheap it will cost you!!!!!!;)

£240???:confused:

I start my 2330 year one on 15th September. It's cost me £802 for the first year and it's my first course too. I was told if I had no GCSE's I could get both years of level 2 for free!!! But because I worked hard at school I have to pay full price.

There has already been a thread on the silly price increases. It's because the government have pulled the plug on funding for higher education. Anything from level 3 is now full price. and upto level 2 can only be part funded by the government. Unless, as I said, you are on benefits or were a lazy oike at school and didn't bother to pass any exams. :mad: :eek: :mad:

Reply to 2330 or Part P and 17th Ed? (URGENT) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock