Discuss 2356 NVQ online in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI all, season’s greetings
Basically I’m 42 yrs old, achieved C&G 2330 lvl 3, 17th edition update, C&G 2377(PAT testing) passed practical assessment for the 2391(awaiting theory results). Despite my best efforts i cannot get a break into the trade, so i was planning to go self-employed mid 2011 on a part time basis, taking on jobs which i feel competent enough to do, (planning to join Elecsa first), however i have heard the competent person scheme will be getting tougher and will require the NVQ level 3 to gain entry.
The last registration for the 2356 is 31st march 2011, so my question are
1) Can i do the 2356 on a self-employed basis.
2) As I’ll be part time can i do this online
3) Do online assessments require AM2(more expense to budget for)
4)Would it be worth it?
Regards
Mouse

If you can get the work in domestic/commericial and a heap photo evidence of your work then I don't see why not. Only difference full/part is part time it will take abit longer to achieve.

Not sure about the online bit

The AM2 doesn't have to be done with the NVQ thats optional but It would put you in good stead and help your NVQ if you did decide do it :) (note the new 2357 Qaulification you will have to do the AM2 test)

Ofcourse it's worth it remember the more Qaulifications the better and more it will help you and I beleive you'll get Electrician status with JIB with the NVQ :)

What ever you decide to do m8 good luck! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen these online NVQs but don't see how they work. I always thought thats alongside a portfolio of your work, you needed to have site visits to actually make sure you are doing the job and not blagging it.

If its that easy to obtain, then why is it looked upon as being a qual a proper spark needs?

iv almost done mine online with quickstep and had the assessor coming out to the two jobs i had to do to complete the NVQ.

also a freind of mine has completed his via quickstep and he was self employed, the assessor just came out to see him where he was working.

lots of photos is a must,,, and do it now as its gona get harder.

Last edited:
I've seen these online NVQs but don't see how they work. I always thought thats alongside a portfolio of your work, you needed to have site visits to actually make sure you are doing the job and not blagging it.

If its that easy to obtain, then why is it looked upon as being a qual a proper spark needs?

Not trying to blag it or imply that its easy, sorry if i gave that impression, its just doing it online suits my situation better.
Just looked at the quickstep web site and they do three schemes two of which are online , i'll give em a ring in new year.

cheers all

Mouse

The only reason why someone would need an assessor to visit them on site is if they are apprentices learning the trade. A lot of training providers charge people quite a lot of money to undertake site visits as part of the NVQ process when realistically you do NOT need to pay this extra expense of having a site visit if you are already competent in the eight units of the NVQ. People who have worked in the trade for a number of years should already be competent in all these units anyway, but due to the requirements of the JIB etc they need this NVQ to prove competence.

Thus, the online version is a way of competent people collecting and presenting evidence of the eight units by way of photos/videos etc and getting these assessed without the unecessary expense of site visits. The added bonus is that this can be done at your own pace in your own home at a time convenient to you. VQ Training are probably the cheapest option for this online version in the UK and, like other training providers such as Delta, target those who are already competent but do not yet have the NVQ to "prove" this competency.

Reply to 2356 NVQ online in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net