Discuss 2382 17th edition, easy or hard for apprentice in 2nd year in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanBrown

I am planning on taking up a course on the 17th edition wiring regs - 2382, and was curious as to how hard it was, baring in mind that i am on my 2330 2nd year apprenticship. Is anyone else in my situation who has taken the test, and what was the outcome.
What is the chance on me passing?, or am i too eager..

Thanks for your comments.......

I may be wrong but I was talking to someone in the know here who said that you need to have finished the 2330 in order to show the test centre that you are qualified enough to simply take the one day course. Ifonly in your second year then you will probably find your college will build something in for you. I know my college have

Hi Dan, i am also in my 2nd year and have booked in for the 17th exam on its own which i am sitting thurs 6th march (next week). I have basically studied from home with the new regs book but will let you know how it goes next week, btw i was not asked for any previous quals when i booked this exam and it is a a registered GOLA center and it was £80. I decided to take it early 'cos im 36 years young now and time is one thing i aint got like some of the younger members, just hope i haven't bitten off more than i can chew....lol
Hope that helps.:D
Regards
MacSparky:)

Hmm <he says in a confused voice>

Fortunately my college have agreed to teach us the course and give us the exam at the end of it for only £20 after we sit the final 301 exam

Lucky you....lol were lucky if we can get info about the coffe machine at the college i attend....bloddy useless.....only been waiting 3 months now for the center number and password for the C&G smartscreen that were entitled too......yet were the paying customers....lol:eek:

2382 is not particulalry hard, its easier than the 16th edition 2381, because you ONLY have BS7671 to examined on, instead of the regs AND the OSG .

so thats all the conduit and trunking factors questions gone!

Just do some practice exams and go for it.

And remember this: "go out and come back in"

what i mean is: you are searching for answer using what you think is the keyword out of the question, and you are getting nowhere. Close the book, re-read the question and go back in from a different angle

Oh and make sure you know the table in the appendices that is the installation methods for flat twin and earth in thermal insualation (methods 100, 101, 102 etc) This table will lead you to a table of current carrying capacitites for these cables (think its 4D5)

so you will be asked something like "2.5 mm thermoplastic in 60mm of thermal insualtion against a wooden panel - what is current carrying capacity"

hope this helps

im starting my 17th edition in april, they didnt even ask me if i was working in the industry, basically just took my money and that was it

I Passed!!!!!:eek:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Sat the 2382 on thursday and got the result today by phone as the C&G link went down.
Well chuffed to say the least. Home study with the regs book and some practice with the electacourse simulator, job done......lol
Next step....2391!;)

Well done, most people pass it on the first attempt.

if you are 'new' to this game, i would reccomend the 2392 before jumping in to the 2391

but you pays your money, you takes your choice!!!

Just sat the 17th edition test on Friday and we were told by the instructor that as the new OSG had not been published yet that we would get no questions relating to the OSG. I decided to take the 16th edition OSG in with me anyway and I was glad I did as it helped me answer about 4 questions. One of the questions was about what type of situation would you fit a type D BS EN 60898 circuit breaker, could I find the answer in the 17th edition book no chance but its there in the index of the OSG. So I would recommend taking in the OSG no matter what you have been told.

Oh and I passed .... well chuffed.

damn, I spilt milk all over my osg, wanting to upgrade to the 17th soon, gonna have a blast at the 2391 first, with a 33% pass rate at the moment, looks good dun it ;)

Luke, pretty sure the last 2391 exam based on the 16th edition is this Thursday.

The next exam in June is 17th edition based, so expect questions on:

New IR values
Verification of phase sequence
Evaluation of voltage drop using circuit impedence

New terminology (Basic and fault protection)
Plus all the paperwork has changed to reflect the 17th (particulalrly the schedule of insspections)

To be honest i would SERIOUSLY consider dong the 17th update first, the 2391 is hard enough as it is without questions on an edition of the regs you may be unfamiliar with!!!

Congratulations MacSparky,

Where did you take your exam, could you just book it as an external student, I am struggling to find a centre locally who will let me just sit the exam. As I will study at home myself. You said you waited 3 months for a number and a password. Was this for the online exam.

Where you able to go back to questions when you wanted to change anything, and at the end of the questions they all went through the system, not where you answer a question the result is final no chance of changing a mistake.

Reply to 2382 17th edition, easy or hard for apprentice in 2nd year in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock