• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss 2391-52 exam question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Seath

EF Member
Hello,
Would anyone be able to help with this question I do not seem to have the knowledge to answer please?

Questions 40 to 46 relate to the following scenario.
Insulation resistance has been tested on five new lighting circuits in an existing large
distribution warehouse. These circuits are supplied from a new single-phase, five-way DB.
Switching for each circuit is by 230 V contactors. Connection to each light is made using a
BS 1363 socket-outlet adjacent to the fitting.
The supply and installation form a 400 V three-phase TN-C-S system.
The following test results were recorded.

Circuit Line-line ohms Line-earth ohms
1 190 176
2 187 20
3 157 162
4 122 134
5 172 178

Initial and Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations (2391-052)
Sample Questions
17What is the value of insulation resistance between Live and Earth for the new DB with all
the lighting circuits connected?

a)13 MΩ
b)20 MΩ
c)134 MΩ
d)178 MΩ

Response: correct answer is (a) I said (c)

Thanks in advance hope Duncan

SparkyChick

Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
Can you show how you worked out the answer?

I could give you the answer but that's not going to help much as it won't expand your understanding.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
The correct answer is about 13.34:D

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
if you look at the question. reading #2 shows 20. therefore the global resistance must be <20. (resistances in parallel.). therefore a. is correct without any working out.

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
if you look at the question. reading #2 shows 20. therefore the global resistance must be <20. (resistances in parallel. therefore a. is correct without any working out.
No calculation required then, see I didn't spot that:tearsofjoy:

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY

Taylortwocities

Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
The ability to know about parallel resistances is a basic fundamental of electrical work..
I'm not knocking the OP, but surely this is first lesson stuff.

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
On a positive note, at least now you know what you don't know, and knowing that is better than knowing nothing.

Time to revise resistance in parallel.

Vortigern

Regular EF Member
The question states the value of IR results as ohms not Mohms would that make a difference to anyones answer? Must have forgotten to take the lamps out.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
it's a tick box. no working out erqiuered,

reqiured.
required.
bloody beer.

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
None of them are actually the correct answer, it is 13.34 what are these courses coming to.

oracle

Electrician's Arms
No working out? Bloody hell have they devalued the exam completely? The old 2391 written exam was a real bugger .

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.