Discuss 2391 - changing to new courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.
Couple of things I want to throw out there.

Firstly... I am planning on doing the dreaded 2391 next month.
But, while upgrading my 16th to the 17th last week, the training centre advised me that the 2391 is being phased out any day now and being replaced by 2393 and 2394 (I think that was the numbers).
Apart from the pain-in-the-bum factor of now having to do 2 courses to get the same result, it also will probably mean more money.

So... I either do the 2391 before it gets changed (by the way - congrats Dave on passing)... but then have a course that is going to be 'the old one'
Or I wait a few months and probably pay a little more and have the spangly new courses adorning my CV.

As far as I am aware, there are no time limits to these courses - 2391 etc. But saying that, I know someone with a 2391 course under their belt from 7 years ago, and when they applied for a job a few weeks ago, they were asked to refresh their 2391 course first.

Thoughts on this?

Secondly... My 16th upgrade to the 17th.

Seeing as it was 1995 when I did the 16th, and that I had been out of the sparking for a good 8 years... I thought that I should do the 3 day full 17th course as opposed to the 1 day course. Bit rusty on the calcs etc.
Mmm.... waste of time and money to be honest.
It was basically 2.5 days of overhead slides showing each page of the regs book.

If you got to a page of calcs... 'don't worry about this, you won't need this for the paper'... or 'Got that -yes... right lets crack on' (dispite the room full of blank faces)

Now I know you are not going to learn the regs in 2.5 days. But I would expect for a bloody expensive course... that it would get slightly more out of it.

My best advice to anyone doing the 17th course... do old papers. They are all over the internet (and on here) and they were far more valuable to me than the course ever was.
Once you can find your way around the regs book, you are sorted.

Saying that, the course centre and the instructor were very good. Just not what you would expect (or I asked for)

Steve

Ok mate, here goes.

The 2391 is changing to the 2394 Initial Verification, and 2395 Periodic.

The 2394 and 5 both have a written paper, practical assessment, but the on line test (which is new) is valid for both qualifications, so you only do it once.

The 2391 is still open for new registrations with some training providers, but you only have a certain amount of time to complete both written and practical assessments. If you dont complete it by a certain date then you will need to do the 2394/5 anyway.

I would look at the C&G website, or give them a call (good luck if you need to call them, be prepared to be in a queue for a while).

As for a refresher 2391, there isn't one! Some one who has the 2391 is not going to forget it in 7 years after the effort they put in to pass it in the first place.

Regarding the 17th edition, unfortunately it is what it is. You cant do every page, but the object of the exercise is to get you through an exam on how to use a book. There is no practical element, so you can only make it as interesting as you can.

i break it up, so we do powerpoints and explanations etc in the morning, and practice questions in the afternoon covering the parts of the regs we have covered that morning.

Cheers............Howard

Cheers............Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
im on my 4th week of 2391, and i just went for it instead of waitting for new one, and they are still allowing you to rgister for it

I totally agree with regard to forgetting the 2391.... but that doesn't stop some some companies saying - 'want the job, redo the course' (as in this case).

Mmm.. not sure then. I have no doubt the the new 2394 and 2395 courses will be more expensive, seeing as C&G are just milking the cash cow, but I do like the idea of having the newer courses under my belt with no time pressure to get the 2391 completed.

i have just started the 2395 course a college over 12 weeks. Just so you know you can just sit the 2395 without the need to sit the 2394 first. basically they are the same courses as before but they have moved the 2394 to a level 3 course.

The exam structure has changed though.

Its 1 hour muliple choice (well guess)
2 hour 15 practical
1 hour 30 minute written exam.

Hope this helps Im paying 550 pounds.

i have just started the 2395 course a college over 12 weeks. Just so you know you can just sit the 2395 without the need to sit the 2394 first. basically they are the same courses as before but they have moved the 2394 to a level 3 course.

The exam structure has changed though.

Its 1 hour muliple choice (well guess)
2 hour 15 practical
1 hour 30 minute written exam.

Hope this helps Im paying 550 pounds.

Interesting.... I didn't think any of these courses had started yet.
Where are you taking it?

im on my 4th week of 2391, and i just went for it instead of waitting for new one, and they are still allowing you to rgister for it

You can still register and do the 2391. Have a look at City and Guilds website for cut off dates etc.. If you are doing the course over several weeks, then passing it shouldn't be an issue for you because you have a lot of time to revise for the written exam. The problems will arise for those who register late, pass the practical but fail the written. If they need a few goes at it, then they may go past the final cut off date, and then this will make their practical assessment worthless. I think the cut off date to have both practical and written assessments completed and passed to get the qual is July 2013, but dont take my word for it, check with C&G.

Cheers............Howard

Reply to 2391 - changing to new courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net