• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss 2391 coming up any advice? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi guys week after next I have my 2391 and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to expect, tips, links to websites that might help or any links to any other threads. Cheers guys
Read guidance note 3 a lot watch John ward and Chris kitchen on you tube, train 4 trade skills (I think) have an easy to follow video on RFC testing.....beat me @Andy78 ?
Oh and good luck mate

Last edited:
If you’ve got access to a 3 phase rig, practice, practice and practice. I’ve just finished the course this week. 6 of the 8 lads I was on with failed on the practical as they weren’t fast enough when it came to testing and ran out of time / messed up the paperwork. 2 and a half hours for an EIC and an EICR doesn’t sound like a lot, but it’s doable. Aim to leave yourself an hour for the paperwork and you’ll be fine.

The written exams are ok to be fair, although the 60 questions is a bit of a lick. C&G have got a nasty habit of wording questions in order to try and trip you up, so make sure you read them right.

You need 100% on the visual exam and 4 short answers, don’t worry too much as you should get a retest for those tasks on any questions you need.

As others have said, get your head in GN3, do all your homework’s and mock exams. I’ve got some from my course, if you want a copy let me know mate???

One more thing, get on a rig and practice, practice, practice... ??

As mentioned, for the practical you need to have practiced enough to complete in time. Building a replica test board at home is a good idea, if you still have time (and your own MFT to practise with).

You can read the C&G examiners reports from past papers (at least I assume you still can, its been a few years since I looked), which mention the main things that trip candidates up on the written paper. If you read a few of these, it is the same points over and over again.

Get your head into GN3 and reference it with the regs and OSG.
The best practice guide to periodic inspection is also useful.
Take your own Testing gear, or something you are familiar with. nothing worse than using test equipment every Tom Dick and Harry has been abusing. For what it's worth, when I did it I was the only one with A MFT, Isolation gear, most of the others turned up with a wind up IR tester and a volt stick, don't bring one a Volt stick I mean, and good luck.

I recently did the 2391-52 and to be honest it wasn't as bad as I expected. if you are good with your circuit calcs and familiar with testing then you are okay.
The testing is nothing too problematic as long as you do it day to day and can work efficiently.
I had a few faults, high resistant of 5+ohms on a gas bond.
incorrectly wired DOL starter and low IR on a circuit requiring further investigation.
the pictures where you identify faults were no problem.
the exam is a bit cheeky in parts as city and guilds write questions in an interesting way. as long as you are familiar and upto speed with gn3 you should be okay.

Hi,it is as stated,a simple case of practice,and reference. Being confident with your own MFT,and the results you see and expect,is key.

Don't put yourself under too much pressure,and remember,there are loads of eejits on here that passed,soooo.......:)

Oh,and ignore Pete's warning...you can take a Volt-stick....just as long as it's your "lucky Volt-stick"...and you never take it out of your pocket ;)

Hi,it is as stated,a simple case of practice,and reference. Being confident with your own MFT,and the results you see and expect,is key.

Don't put yourself under too much pressure,and remember,there are loads of eejits on here that passed,soooo.......:)

Oh,and ignore Pete's warning...you can take a Volt-stick....just as long as it's your "lucky Volt-stick"...and you never take it out of your pocket ;)
They Haff vays of rooting out these evil things, you know, the electric SS aint foolish

Cheers for the reply guys. For the last 11 months all I do is periodics (hence why my company want me now to go on it) in just worried that I may have become complacent I do try and make sure I do it by the book so to speak especially the last 2 weeks when I got told I would go on it.
JBW175 have you got an attachment for the notes? That would be greatly appreciated

Cheers for the reply guys. For the last 11 months all I do is periodics (hence why my company want me now to go on it) in just worried that I may have become complacent I do try and make sure I do it by the book so to speak especially the last 2 weeks when I got told I would go on it.
JBW175 have you got an attachment for the notes? That would be greatly appreciated

I’ve not got them electronically, but can take photos and Wattsapp them you if you want mate?

Reply to 2391 coming up any advice? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back