Discuss 2391 is it really fair? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

Ionicreds

Hello all, first and foremost I believe an introduction is in order, names ionic and glad to have come across this forum, I'm sure I'll have a very interesting time here. Before I can really continue with this post I have to ask would it be ok for me to recall a couple of quetions from my recently sat 2391 exam, don't want to break any rules, I think I've done fairly well but another 35 days befor I get the results, can't help but feel though the exam in some parts was a bit unfair.

Welcome to the real world.

The "standard" of the 2391 has not been dumbed down, unlike the majority of exams these days, and as a result requires a high level of knowledge, combined with a high level of perdantic need for the correct terminology.

The numbers of people passing the 2391 has not increased over time, as a percentage.

Well, considerring that 2301 is a CnG level three and compare the exam with 2377 which is level three as well but multiple choice exam which you really can't fail, I am afraid I have to agree: no it is not fair. 2391 is possible the hardest exam to pass and in my opinion a bit undervalued.

To the OP, I have the paper sat last week in front of me. Let us know where you thought it was unfair and we can discuss..

To the OP, I have the paper sat last week in front of me. Let us know where you thought it was unfair and we can discuss..
Thanks for ur responses, just to clarify its only some questions that I thought was unfair but with the high failure rate that could be the difference between passing or failing, there is one question in particular that sticks out to me and it concerns volt drop, I can do cable calcs pretty easy and working out volt drop by calculation is second nature to me, the quetion was how do you measure volt drop on an installed circuit and with what instrument, 3 marks I think, now guidance note 3 says its impractical to measure volt drop after the circuit has been installed because it would involve taking a measurement at the source and at the point of utilisation simultaneously,while under load. I for one can't find an explanation on how to do it. I'm not saying there isn't one, unless that was the answer lol. another question was what part of the supply can't be measured? Now that one really did blow my mind. You spend a lot of time studying, so now your at a level were you can name every test in the book backwards if need be, expected results ect. I spent about 10 minits trying to come up with an answer that has no real relevance. why do I have to worry about something I will never do? needless to say i think i got that wrong. There was a question about D.N.O can't recall it but I'd never heard of D.N.O untill that point before. I'm under the impression they throw these type of questions in to put you of your stride, that being said I'm quietly confident I'm going to pass it but only time will tell, but I can't help but feel some questions are a little off the beaten track.

The 2391 was intended to be difficult,to make sure that whoever passed and practised inspection & testing was competent to do so and i hope that they do not dull down this qual with multi choice papers,its better for all that hold this that it remains that way,as for being on par with the 2377 thats just laughable,if there was a level 4 or 5 ots where it should be.

I've recently done the 2395 (havent got the results yet) and like everyone else spent ages doing old 2391 papers getting miserable about the terminologly having to be spot on and trying to decipher cryptic questions. I've attended countless training sessions and sat plenty of exams but I'm sure that this exam is the only one that is'nt a stamped on pass before you sit it. As hard as it is, the standard has to be maintained, pass or fail.

It has to be difficult. Once you have passed it, you will be giving your expert opinion of the overall condition of an installation, as well as giving unbiased accurate information for the rectification and / or improvements to an installation if it needs work carrying out. If you don't have a full understanding (to expert level) of Inspection and Test, how can you be expected to make informed decisions and recommendations.

Cheers.............Howard

Reply to 2391 is it really fair? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock