Discuss 2391 is it really fair? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It has to be difficult. Once you have passed it, you will be giving your expert opinion of the overall condition of an installation, as well as giving unbiased accurate information for the rectification and / or improvements to an installation if it needs work carrying out. If you don't have a full understanding (to expert level) of Inspection and Test, how can you be expected to make informed decisions and recommendations.

Cheers.............Howard

Agreed , yet unfortunatley even Electrical Trainee are being groomed to pass the exams with little or no experience , as shown by the thread on the training section under the heading of " my route to being a qualified spark" or something similar.
It should be made compulsary to have 5 years experience before being allowed to do the 2391 in my opinion.

And as the holder of the 2391 cert done way back in '97 , i'm secretly glad its being replaced by the 2394 / 5 as it means the accomplishment of passing the 2391 cant be watered or dumbed down to meet todays expectations of the everyone must pass outlook to education.

Agreed , yet unfortunatley even Electrical Trainee are being groomed to pass the exams with little or no experience , as shown by the thread on the training section under the heading of " my route to being a qualified spark" or something similar.
It should be made compulsary to have 5 years experience before being allowed to do the 2391 in my opinion.
Agree, they say its not watered down but it seems as easy to get as an asbo now, everyone has one and as you say even people that have not done any form of correct formal training so jury is out on how expert people will be on doing an electrical inspection.
IMO 2391 is much like the olympic ticket, everybody wants one and if you pay enough you have one.

i phoned up to get my result, i sat in dumb silence trying to take it in when they said PASS! When the cert arrived, i sat staring at it for ages to make sure it was mine.

Agree, they say its not watered down but it seems as easy to get as an asbo now, everyone has one and as you say even people that have not done any form of correct formal training so jury is out on how expert people will be on doing an electrical inspection.
IMO 2391 is much like the olympic ticket, everybody wants one and if you pay enough you have one.

And i've got a suspision as to why that is ;
it seems to me that these training centres spend most of the 2391 course going over past papers rather than actually teaching testing principles , which is why people with little / no experience can pass.
Yet how would they fare if they were asked to do a PIR on a 3 storey hotel with 40 year old wiring with no circuits labelled ? ;-)

And i've got a suspision as to why that is ;
it seems to me that these training centres spend most of the 2391 course going over past papers rather than actually teaching testing principles , which is why people with little / no experience can pass.
Yet how would they fare if they were asked to do a PIR on a 3 storey hotel with 40 year old wiring with no circuits labelled ? ;-)
Collage is the same as - don't kid yourself. I spent three days doing old papers

i phoned up to get my result, i sat in dumb silence trying to take it in when they said PASS! When the cert arrived, i sat staring at it for ages to make sure it was mine.

I didnt know if i'd passed till the results came through the post , made the moment all the sweeter lol.

i went over all past papers myself again and again i recon about 90 percent of the stuff didn't come up why it is so difficult is because they can ask you anything in reason and you either have done your homework or know it already i did mine in 2007 just after doing 2360 so that helped with things still fresh in my mind.i hope they haven't dumbed down this exam as i know alot of sparks that couldn't pass it or wont attempt it, i like to drop the fact in when they start showing off there jib cards and mine says trainee then i show i got 2391 on the card and ask where does theres say it.

Guys apologies for delay - got paper here, just been super busy.

I will upload it in the morning

:yes:

edit..

okay I tried to upload it but after all the compressions I still couldn't get the pdf below the 2MB limit.

So preferring not to upload 15 or so images of each page, here is a link to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v48czdqipvpeyv8/2391_July_2012.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks widdler top man that whiled away some of the morning over here. To be honest I think that anyone who got that paper would be quite pleased.

I did like question 15 on how you would test live on an earth electrode it would have fooled me into explaining how to do the test with an proper earth elctrode tester, but putting the 500mA RCD made me re read the question again and see the live part.

Paper B was pretty straight forward to be honest. Question 22 the only one that required calculations, and parts B + C would be questions that often appeared in the first section, so that was disappointing, I would like to see more calc questions.

There was also 3 questions on testing sequence I see which I think is a lot to be honest and of course the yearly diagram so all in all I personally don't think it was the hardest of papers.

Sirkit and you are really at the sharp end of this in regards training, and seeing this paper I'm starting to feel that perhaps there is now a good chance for an in-experienced person being "taught" to pass this rather that what I think it should be aimed at and that is someone that as experience in testing and inspection who would require this exam to prove competency.

Do you think that perhaps the industry should be pushing the design and verification course more to employers. I always felt that it was so under valued in that 40% of it was the actual 2391-10(2395) that also included the practical part

I wonder now that the C&G have made it a level 4 qualification if this will be the course to have to "set you aside" from the other, the same as the 2391-10 use to?

Sirkit and you are really at the sharp end of this in regards training, and seeing this paper I'm starting to feel that perhaps there is now a good chance for an in-experienced person being "taught" to pass this rather that what I think it should be aimed at and that is someone that as experience in testing and inspection who would require this exam to prove competency.

I've been teaching this course a while now, and every time I open up the most recent paper I shake my head harder in frustration. My only hope is that C&G are simplifying it to get rid of the back log of 2391 resits so they can stop writing these papers.
Saying that the 2395 paper didn't seem much harder IMO.

It is a shame.

Sparty I have yet to see a job advertised asking for the design and verification qualification, almost all employers ask for the 2391-10 as sign of competence.

I often wonder if it is because of lack of understanding on what the D & V course gives you. I hope I'm not going to be joining the "dumbing" down brigade of the 2391-10/2395 but the paper Widdler posted is certainly not the hardest of ones I have seen, but there again the lads doing that exam may have been the lucky ones, the next might be a stonker

I've been teaching this course a while now, and every time I open up the most recent paper I shake my head harder in frustration. My only hope is that C&G are simplifying it to get rid of the back log of 2391 resits so they can stop writing these papers.
Saying that the 2395 paper didn't seem much harder IMO.

It is a shame.

Thanks mate, I can't give you a like as what you wrote is really alarming IMO.

I took the 2391 exam 14 June 2012 and still waiting for results. Does anyone know when I might receive my results. The exam wasn't too bad it's all about how much you put in as to what you want out of it

Reply to 2391 is it really fair? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock