Discuss 2391 Past Exam Paper in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spazz

Im doing a past 2391 Paper now, a question has come up - dont think it applies to 17th regs but want to check

State the correct title of the protective conductor that is connected between two extraneous conductive parts

Am I right in saying this is the bonding between the water pipes and radiator - therefore not covered under the 17th regs?

Also another one - I don't do an 3 phase work hardly

Am I right in saying the test voltage of an IR test on 400V three-phase kiln is 500v DC?

Im doing a past 2391 Paper now, a question has come up - dont think it applies to 17th regs but want to check

State the correct title of the protective conductor that is connected between two extraneous conductive parts

Am I right in saying this is the bonding between the water pipes and radiator - therefore not covered under the 17th regs?

I would say 'Supplementary Bonding Conductor' 544.2.3 in BRB

Also another one - I don't do an 3 phase work hardly

Am I right in saying the test voltage of an IR test on 400V three-phase kiln is 500v DC?

Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
still not sure about the top one - my tutor expects us to know what is not covered in the regs as well - if I put this answer in and its not covered in 17th Regs he will mark it wrong even though it may have been right when this paper was issued - hes a T***

still not sure about the top one - my tutor expects us to know what is not covered in the regs as well - if I put this answer in and its not covered in 17th Regs he will mark it wrong even though it may have been right when this paper was issued - hes a T***

Why are you still not sure ?, supplementary bonding is still used in the 17th ed. particularly in some special locations, agricultural locations used for livestock for one (sec. 705 BGB), it is still one valid method of additional protection.

Last edited:
Doing some more past papers now - Question:

If the temperature at the time of the test was 20 C (no factor) and the cable is 70C pvc (factor 1.2), determine by calculation wether the measured vales are acceptable (Ze = 0.4 ohms)

32A Circuit 1.07 - Max Zs 0.83 Measured Zs

Can someone confirm the way to do this one please and I can do the rest - Am I right in saying that its not 1.07 x 0.8 = 0.83?

What's the 1.07 Nicholas?
I'm not sure if I'm reading your question correctly but you take the tabulated values from 7671 and apply the 0.8 rule of thumb to that then compare it to the measured value to see if it complies

Good grief looking at your question again it's clear what you meant, sorry Nicholas must be that auldtimers disease catching up with me:)

the Question

a)If the temperature at the time of the test was 20 C (no factor) and the cable is 70C pvc (factor 1.2), determine by calculation wether the measured vales are acceptable (Ze = 0.4 ohms)
b) If correction factors were unavailable, which method would be used to make a valid comparison of measured and tabulated values? - Rule of thumb?
c) Using this method indicate whether the results would be acceptable. - Max Zs x 0.8 = acceptable or not

The values:

32A Circuit
1.07 Max Zs
0.83 Measured Zs

10A Circuit
3.43 Max Zs
2.4 Measured Zs

6A Circuit
5.71 Max Zs
4.4 Measured Zs

The Ze is a bit of a red herring as you'll be getting that included when you measure ZS because Zs =(Ze+(R1+R2)) as you know
So using the same values as a minute ago this time, because your max allowed is 0.8 ohms you're going to be outside it.
0.8X0.8=0.64< your 0.83 measured.
Assuming all your values are the same

Ok I'll put my hands up here, I'm drawing a complete blank on this cable factor. It can't be a derating factor as they are considered at the design stage and an up rating factor makes no sense

Reply to 2391 Past Exam Paper in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net