Discuss 2391 - Practical exam in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

keuspastis

Hi, i'm sitting my 2391 very soon i've been studying hard the written exam but i can't find any information about the practical exam. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I've heard that it's always an PIR.

Please give me any tips or advise on how to study this part of the exam and detail the sequence of test and mistake to not make.

Thanks a lot guys......

The best advice I can possibly give for this one mate is you have to be familiar with what you're doing, know your instruments and why you are performing each test. Plenty of practice is the best way to get familiar and you can use handy publications from Amazon which give you a good guide. I prefer the ones by Scadden which I used when I did mine. Good luck mate and remember, practice, practice, practice!Regards, Dan

PS. There is normally a PIR or LED in the circuit that you have to do an Insulation Resistance for a Periodic Inspection. Remember that this circuit has already been in use and all you are required to prove is that is safe to continue in use, so the test is connect Line and Neutral together and test between these two and the CPC. That way you won't blow the PIR or LED.

Last edited by a moderator:
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]Thought you people doing your 2391-10 may be interseted in the examers feed back for the writen exams for feb2009.[/FONT]

[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]pass rate was around 55% this time which is good for this exam.[/FONT]

[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]Good luck to those about to take it :)[/FONT]

1 Introduction
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]The purpose of this document is to provide centres with feedback on the performance of candidates in the February 2009 examination for 2391-301 Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations. [/FONT]
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]The Chief Examiners’ Report has been reintroduced as a result of feedback from centres, to give them guidance in preparing candidates for the written examination. [/FONT]
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]2391-301 Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations [/FONT]www [FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]2 [/FONT]
2 Feedback on candidate performance
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]The following comments are intended to help students prepare for the examination by having a better understanding of what is expected of them. The feedback on the questions at the end of this report would also be valuable to tutors in understanding the candidate difficulties in answering questions and the areas where more guidance is required. [/FONT]
General
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]The February 2009 question paper was found to be in accordance with the scheme requirements and there were no errors or omissions on the paper which could have disadvantaged candidates. [/FONT]
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]The questions, in the majority of cases, were answered to a good standard, providing clear detailed information. In general, candidates were well prepared for the examination and their answers often indicated a good understanding of the subject matter. [/FONT]
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]There continues to be some areas which need addressing, such as names of documents and or test instruments. [/FONT]
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]Reference to particular aspects new to the 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations still resulted in incorrect answers. It is strongly recommended that candidates are familiar with the present edition of the regulations prior to undertaking this qualification. [/FONT]
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]The following comments are intended to help students prepare for the examination by having a better understanding of what is expected of them. [/FONT]

Use and understanding of correct terminology
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]Correct terminology must be understood and used when answering questions. [/FONT]
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]Incorrect titles are often used for the following documents. [/FONT]

Electrical Installation Certificate

Periodic Inspection Report

Schedule of Inspections

Schedule of Test Results

[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]Electricity at Work Regulations. [/FONT]​

[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]All the correct terminology and titles are clearly shown in BS 7671:2008 and GN3, and is reported on in virtually every Chief Examiner’s Report. [/FONT]​

General feedback

[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]There has been a great improvement over recent series’ in the quality of answers relating to testing processes but candidates must include all relevant information when describing such tests. [/FONT]
[FONT=CongressSans,CongressSans]Part A of the exam, the 20 short answer questions, were generally well answered with the exception of document and test titles. The understanding of IP codes was the weakest area for most candidates. [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
The best advice I can possibly give for this one mate is you have to be familiar with what you're doing, know your instruments and why you are performing each test. Plenty of practice is the best way to get familiar and you can use handy publications from Amazon which give you a good guide. I prefer the ones by Scadden which I used when I did mine. Good luck mate and remember, practice, practice, practice!Regards, Dan

PS. There is normally a PIR or LED in the circuit that you have to do an Insulation Resistance for a Periodic Inspection. Remember that this circuit has already been in use and all you are required to prove is that is safe to continue in use, so the test is connect Line and Neutral together and test between these two and the CPC. That way you won't blow the PIR or LED.

You said plenty of practice is the best way to get familiar but i can't practice i don't have the instruments, my training starts on monday and the practical exam is on thursday evening.

anyway thanks a lot.

You said plenty of practice is the best way to get familiar but i can't practice i don't have the instruments, my training starts on monday and the practical exam is on thursday evening.

anyway thanks a lot.

You'll be fine mate. A couple of days of solid testing procedures on a test board will have you flying through it :). Dont worry at all mate just make sure you do all tests in correct order.

Chers

No college will ever be good enough to train you sufficiently to meet the requirements of GN3 1.2 which says "The Inspectorcarrying out the inspection and teating of any electrical installation must have.....sound knowledge and experience....be fully versed in the procedures....and employ suitable testing equipment"

Passing 2391 in itself is not making you competent, it is a measure of a certain level of training and experience

Reply to 2391 - Practical exam in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock