Discuss 2391 Practical re sit, Need a little bit of help... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
On friday I have the re sit for my 2391 practical, I'm confident on all the dead tests, Zs, RCD's and functional checks etc. And I'm fairly confident with the PEFC and PSCC, However on our test rig we have 2 boards (A main board, and a 'Garage' board) So do I need to do the PEFC and PSCC at both boards?
Thanks in advance.

I've just done my 2392. My understanding (and I'm sure I will be corrected if I have this wrong!), is that BS7671 requires the PFC (PEFC+PSCC) to be determined at the origin and at other relevant points. For simple installations, where all circuits eminate from the CU, that would be there. In the 'your' installation, the PFC should also be determined at the garage CU. My notes read that PFC should always be determined at the point of the installation where the electrical energy is deliverd. Only the same as for determining the ZS of those circuits.

Your main board should be supplying your garage board.

The main board is where the supply comes in to the installation. So you need to take Ze and PSSC/PEFC at that point.
You then have a submain from your main board supplying your garage board, this is a distribution circuit.
You have a choice, either measure Ze PSSC/PEFC at the garage board, and record the result as Zdb, or calculate them, whichever floats your boat.

Cheers..........Howard

Thanks all, I think finding the PEFC at the garage board should be alright, just do it as I would measuring the Zs but just press the PFC button. I assume the PSSC will be the same as for the main board. I just need to make sure I have the 'garage' breaker ON at the main board.....I think....

Thanks all, I think finding the PEFC at the garage board should be alright, just do it as I would measuring the Zs but just press the PFC button. I assume the PSSC will be the same as for the main board. I just need to make sure I have the 'garage' breaker ON at the main board.....I think....

Yep it's one of the live tests, before energising the garage circuits, test for PFC & PSC (record the worst figure, ie. the highest ka). The garage cu isolator will be in the off position, you are testing the distribution circuit from the garage CU back the house CU back to the supply transformer. Record as Zdb as Sirkit said (additional record of schedules & test reports to your EIC/EICR). You should carry out your garage CU ZS test before PFC tests.

Last edited:
Have a think about WHY you would do a PFC at the sub board and what you would use that result for (whether measured or calculated). It is not good enough to just record a result because the form has a box that needs to be filled in. There is a reason for this particular test.

The PSCC and PEFC should be at the highest at your main CU. With ohms law taking effect, the run to the garage will add more resistance to the circuit and so your PSCC/PEFC at the DB in the garage should be lower.

Like the other chaps just said, what is the relevance of the PFC an PSC, when would you get those currents? What would currents of that magnitude do? Would a low or high result be desirable? Answer those questions and you'll understand why you're doing it.

As far as I understand the reason we need to do the test is, to make sure that equipment (breakers) can cope with any potential fault currents. But thank you all for your help. I passed it today, and was very relieved to do so. AM2 in a few months time, so hopefully before long all the 4 years hard work will have an end product.

Having spent my 4 year apprentiship in the modular building industry the motor's arent the most concerning thing, It's the bloody S plan heating system. I'm hoping they'll take pitty on me and let me put a 2kw Convector heater on a concealed stat....

If your up to speed on motors and dol starters etc,s plan and heating wiring is a peace of cake,y plan is slightly more hard to fathom when new to heating control wiring and fault finding,but you soon get to grips with it,for an s plan there are wiring diagrams on the forum so you could print one off and practise,its not as complex as you think,all controls have L-N-E then just MVs have grey(perm L)browns are switched either by a roomstat or cylinder stat,when calling for heat,MVs motor and the orange is energised(connected to switched live of boiler) simples! well done on passing the 2391

Reply to 2391 Practical re sit, Need a little bit of help... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net