Discuss 2391 Practical in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Howdy folks.

It seems quite a few of us did the 2391 on the same night so I am guessing a few of us will be doing the practical soon.
It would be good if we could discuss any issues.

I have a link to a thread that Bruce Lee gave me and I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.
It really is the best of the best IMO.
Bruce really made the perfect post.
His post is on page 2 of the thread so if this link doesn't take you to page two you know what to do.

So once again thanks for the link Bruce Lee:
http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-courses-electrical-nvqs/24857-2392-1-practical-exam-question-2.html

Good luck with it fella and don't panic,I had nothing to do with testing before I did the 2391,ok I'd had 10 years industrial experience including a 4 year ford multiskilled apprenticeship,but generally I found the course favoured those from a domestic background,so I was on the back foot from the off.

I found the fault finding/3 phase testing part simple,I was actually shocked how few people on the course had even worked with 3 phase,or even seen a contactor!!!!

But when it came to r1+r2,ze,zs etc the other boys were blowing me away.

I found the practical very nerve-racking at first,it was more of a concern to me than the exam if I'm honest,but as long as you've made your notes well,think methodically and don't panic you'll be absolutely fine.

I took the full 3 hours or 3.5,whatever the time was I took it all,yet the two lads doing it with me one took about 1.45 hrs the other 2,so I was obviously not flavour of the month!!!

I passed,I think about 50% of us did which by all accounts is good going (I think it's usually 30%??) and it was a very tough paper,the instructor was actually in the middle of complaining to city&guilds about it as there were so many glaring mistakes,I must admit a lot of the questions in it weren't part of what we were taught,but I've got it now and nobody can take it away from me.

My prac in june consisted of a 3p board feeding a ring main, motor and a fused spur in fp200 and a sub main to a single phase db with rcd main breaker feeding two lighting circuits and another circuit s/o radial perhaps? The prac exam is less difficult than the prac at the end of the am2 i found it to be quite basic , but i did ask my boss to put me on testing before the exam so in all fairness i did have a headstart on mine but i think thisis how it went:

Safe iso- permission, knock off, lock off, cover off, prove tester, ten tests, prove tester, done(also do polarity while using testers all polarity checks and phase rotation)

Ze- remove earthing conductor 3 test each phase, replace earthing conductor immiediately!!! record highest

PFC-pefc + pscc, highest of six tests double and record

test bonding to water and gas pipes acceptable reading just tick confirm on sheet (supposed long lead but can reach with meter probes)

r1+r2 all circuits on 3p board link method at db etc, r2 test on motor circuit
three step ring test on ring circuit etc

r1+r2 all circuits on single phase db link method etc proven polarity on all circuits tick boxes

Ir test on 3phase db TURNING OFF RCD FOR SUB MAIN CIRCUIT ten tests, record

Ir test on sphase db AFTER REMOVING DIMMER SWITCH or any sensitive equipment , record

Permission to energise after all covers replaced

Zs all circuits record highest on each circuit

rcd test on sub main rcd breaker functional tests then happy days just fill out sheets to fin off i have all my notes from my 2391 prac and theory so if anyone needs info give me a shout ill dig them out before it all changes of course

almost forgot insulation resistance fault rig i had to test two faults simple all mcbs on locate which conductors the fault is between and the find which circuit it is on by elimination method to find the circuit either turning off mcbs or removing neutrals etc just record the fault dead short low resistance etc

live test rig earth loop on two test will be given mock fuse types and sizes for test have to either locate fault on tester or check with books to see if zs is of acceptable value for the fuze type/size etc and i think thats it

forgot the visual inspection rig also got to loacate 12 faults on a mock rig and record them no tests only visual inpection no grommet protection ,1p2x/ip4x faults incorrect mcb ratings cable sizes etc also very simple

not sure if the test rig is the same around britain but maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
The practical should be similar in most colleges as they have to be designed to the spec that C&G dictate.
The spec for assessment 4 is attached...

The practical should be similar in most colleges as they have to be designed to the spec that C&G dictate.
The spec for assessment 4 is attached...

thats the one i mentioned must be a standard rig all round all in all 7 circuits to test on that rig. ring main, motor, fused spur, sub main to db2, radial s/o and two lighting circuits one way and a two way happy days

Hi le Posta, how did you do in your written exam?? i passed mine,well so the test centre says anyway, just waiting for my practical results to be verified by c&g although i was told i had passed on the day ??!!?!?

I was nervous during the final practical assessment as i hadn't had much testing experience before hand but i got through ok. just ket thinking CRIPPLE PF and all was good.

good luck

2391 Practical Capture - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks for the replies.
This is a great picture of the test board, really helpful.

Does anyone know what the small square at the top right of the three phase DB is?
If you look at the three phase DB, top right hand then go right you will find a square with
only a line and neutral attached to it, no other wires coming in or out.
It looks like some sort of switch but it doesn't switch anything, it does not seem to have a function at all.
Does anyone know what it is?
Thanks.

Last edited:
View attachment 8048

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know what the small square at the top right of the three phase DB is?
If you look at the three phase DB, top right hand then go right you will find a square with
It looks like some sort of switch but it doesn't switch anything, it does not seem to have a function at all.
Thanks.

It's a fcu fed in either pyro or fp200 just a radial circuit mate easy one to test like

View attachment 8048

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks.

on my practical it had a neon indicator in it too, had to remove the legs of the neon.

Just got back from my practical exam this lunch time. And even though i do a fair bit of testing i was still extremely nervous, more so than the written as with the written you can go back and amend any mistakes or slip an extra sentence in. Of course if you forget to do safe isolation or ask permission in the practical and then remember later youve still blown it !
I was the only candidate at the test centre, which didnt help my nerves.
Bruce Lees post was helpful in the extreme, i printed it off and was reading it at 5am this morning, Thanks BL.
Good luck to anyone still to take it.
Its not that bad.

Greetings.

I have my 2391 practical on Tuesday morning.
I do not do a lot of testing so I might ask some obvious questions.

One thing that bothers me is if phase rotation comes into it.
I have read that the examiners might ask for this.
I think I am right in saying the three phase motor is a three phase socket.
I know how to test IR, CPC continuity etc but phase rotation on this socket I am not sure of.
Can anyone advice me on what to do if this is asked?
Thanks.

Also here's a handy diagram:

2391 Practical 2391 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi mate phase rotation wont come into it

just the 3 phase socket outlet to test as the motor circuit and jsut for R1 +R2 from whichever line is the highest
and IR
calc Zs for everything except the sockets were you can use the 13A adapter

good luck mate

Just got back from my practical exam this lunch time. And even though i do a fair bit of testing i was still extremely nervous, more so than the written as with the written you can go back and amend any mistakes or slip an extra sentence in. Of course if you forget to do safe isolation or ask permission in the practical and then remember later youve still blown it !
I was the only candidate at the test centre, which didnt help my nerves.
Bruce Lees post was helpful in the extreme, i printed it off and was reading it at 5am this morning, Thanks BL.
Good luck to anyone still to take it.
Its not that bad.

congrats mate

well done glad to help a little

this was my first time testing 3 phase so as I had to learn it from a book thought I would post something to help others such as yorself to try to understand what they want you to do

anyway once again WELL DONE

Reply to 2391 Practical in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock