Discuss 2391 question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
have 400/230v supply tn-c-s system with 35mm supply conductors..(ze 0.1 ohms) there is an extension built which is a 30m run of 3 core swa with 25mm conductors, one core is used as circuit protective conductor

Q , state giving reason wheather the copper cpc incorparated in distribution circuit is suitable as part of the main equpotential bonding to gas and water services installed to the new building from public supply

Q, descibe a suitaqble test to confirm the continuity of cpc in distribution cable

Last edited:
no because of the posibity of the heating of the internal core CPC due to circulating currents in the network.

r1 + r2 or R2 test

i might have the wrong answer for question 1 but this is my thinking from guidance note 8

For installations forming part of a TN-C-S system in which the supply is earthed at multiple points (PME conditions applying), and it is intended to utilise the armouring of a cable or a core of an armoured cable as a main bonding conductor the designer needs to consider the effects of the currents that may flow in the conductor due to network conditions. The armouring or a core of such a cable is normally not used as a main equipotential bonding conductor where PME conditions apply unless the electrical installation designer determines that the heat produced in the armouring or core due to its use will not cause overheating of the live conductors of the cable when on full load

sounds good but i dont get it fully

id saya no because there is water and gas which are extrANEOUS.... WHICH WOULD REQUIRE AND EARTHING ROD(TT)

BUT THX

why would you need to make it a TT ? u can export the PME Earth ! you would just have to run a separate core and use that as your Main bonding conductor

so we have a single phase 30m distribution ciruit from 3phase board to supply new board in extension

well if we add the 0.1 ohms ze of board 1 to the 30m of board two it equals 0.12 ohms, dont know if any relevence, im probably reading question wrong

If it is an EXTENSION then it is classed as being the same property, with the same main supply of services including electric, gas and water.

Is this a real question, or one you have made up?

sorry i knoww this, it does say where pme exisits main bonding conductor shall have not less than half csa of earthing conductor

so if we using 35mm as earthing conductor and 25mm as cpc for dist circuit surely 10mm bonding conductor will be fine,, ahhhhh

real question from mock paper, would you like to write the full question out, i did try cut it short and dont swear cuse i did this

but the question is asking ... " state giving reason wheather the copper cpc incorparated in distribution circuit is suitable as part of the main equpotential bonding to gas and water services installed to the new building from public supply"

First off, I would say no, because main bonding should exist before the distribution circuit.
Secondly, what is the core of the distribution circuit to be used for - earthing or bonding? Surely you can't use one conductor for both? I refer here to RCBO's reply above re circulating currents heating line conductors.

so its a naff question, cheers for replying , ive got 2391 course tomorrow night after work, il let you know on outcome.. even tho you know the awnser

trick question

they do say its 30m to dis board 2 and 25mm conductor will go 68m and still be under 50v

Last edited:
but the question is asking ... " state giving reason wheather the copper cpc incorparated in distribution circuit is suitable as part of the main equpotential bonding to gas and water services installed to the new building from public supply"

First off, I would say no, because main bonding should exist before the distribution circuit.
Secondly, what is the core of the distribution circuit to be used for - earthing or bonding? Surely you can't use one conductor for both? I refer here to RCBO's reply above re circulating currents heating line conductors.

hi ringer

out of curiosity what make you think you can not use the conductor as both a a CPC and a bonding conductor ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the core is suitable to be used as a bonding conductor, as the CSA is greater than that required by Table 54.8 for the 35mm² supply conductors.
There is no prohibition against using a conductor as both a circuit protective and a bonding conductor.
Otherwise we would not be allowed a Main earth.
As for the circulating neutral currents, I don't think they care what the conductor is called, if it's there and it's connected, they'll use it.

oh here we go,, tthanks for input, il look forward too tomorrow night and read this thread

but if the 25mm condutor is going to MET how does this reach the extraneous conductive parts... probably thinking to hard now, thanks wise ones, later and thx

You mean assuming the conductor has enough capacity to do both jobs? To be honest - I can't think of a regulation that specifically forbids it. But I would have thought it would be bad practice. And as stated in an earlier post by yourself, circulating currents may generate enough heat to affect the other conductors in the cable. Is that not why bonding cables are usually run separately from all other circuits?

hi spin As for the circulating neutral currents, I don't think they care what the conductor is called, if it's there and it's connected, they'll use it.

i am only going with what is prescribed in gn 8

but if the 25mm condutor is going to MET how does this reach the extraneous conductive parts... probably thinking to hard now, thanks wise ones, later and thx

i think thats why there is a high fail rate on the 2391 cos some times the questions are poorly worded and people are unsure what they are looking for as an answer

You mean assuming the conductor has enough capacity to do both jobs? To be honest - I can't think of a regulation that specifically forbids it. But I would have thought it would be bad practice. And as stated in an earlier post by yourself, circulating currents may generate enough heat to affect the other conductors in the cable. Is that not why bonding cables are usually run separately from all other circuits?

if you look at gn 8 page 52 it shows a pme supply to a separate building using the cable as a combined cpc and bonding conductor as illustrated

also worth noting is when your maximum zs can not be meet you can use supplamentay bonding to achive this

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 2391 question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock