Discuss 2391 - really needed? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ash_s3

Can i sign off periodic inspection reports without 2391 qualifications?

Ive done my three years at college, done AM2, done NVQ and 17th edition, just wondering what i can do?

For new circuits, CCU upgrades etc.. id obviously need to be a scheme member or go through LABC for part p.

Company i work for are an NICEIC Approved Contractor, im just thinking more about private work which i get asked to do quite often by mates etc..

Thanks.

Just got the big red book out and looked at the forms in the back of there, i take it these are ok to use? are there better ones with carbon copies like the NICEIC ones?

In the declaration section, what do i put in the 'for and on behalf of' box? This would normally be the company doing the work.

Why not create your own?

Judging by your questions it might be a good idea if you post your first attempts in the arms so that we can give you some pointers...

Why not create your own?

Judging by your questions it might be a good idea if you post your first attempts in the arms so that we can give you some pointers...

Create my own form?
Ive done one or two before, but thats using NICEIC ones at work.

Thanks

Create my own form?
Ive done one or two before, but thats using NICEIC ones at work.

Thanks

Here's one I did a while ago. Mr NICEIC man came to assess the new installation required from the results of the periodic.
He tried to sell to me the requirements of paying the extra as a DI to do periodics.
I showed him this report and he soon shut up.
Looking through it there are things I would have done differently.

Looks good that! Where did you get the template from as its very similar to NICEIC ones we use.

thanks

Made it from scratch, I'll have a look tonight to see if I have any back-ups of the control cert then I'll pop them up. I've nearly finished doing some EICR's too.

You can still do periodics without the 2391. But, if the crap hits the fan and something goes wrong on an installation you signed off. What qualification are you going to use to prove your competency?

Why not do it? Its a great qual that test you to the limit in Inspection & Testing.

I have heard from my scheme area manager that Insurance companies are looking at the 2391 as being the qualification needed to accept a homes compliance for insurance purposes.

ash_s3: You need 2391 to be recognised by your accomplished peers and to be ready for when the government and/or the insurance industry tightens up on registration barriers to our industry. I've seen candidates after 2382, 2392 and 2393 exams saying they've struggled with ohms law (to the extent they didn't know it), basic testing, resistivity and voltage drop and the list goes on. These are the basics. Unfortunately most of these guys are passing and going out there and signing certificates. It's very easy to go out there and install standard circuits (per your kitchen fitter who wants to sign it off), but if you're aiming to be a fully qualified and respected electrician then 2391 is the way. You don't need loads of money. Read the books, set up your own test rig at home using old kit and then just pay for the exam.

Reply to 2391 - really needed? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net