Discuss 2391 Test Procedure for Periodic in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Itigeezer

Done my 2391 written re-sit tonight. Overall I think it went pretty well, but the doubts are creeping in now.

Anyway there were two questions on IR and CCPC test procedures for a periodic on an office installation during it's operational hours.

I assumed that when conducting the above tests the rest of the installation was still in use. I indicated this in my answer also. As a result I stated that the conductors would need to be disconnected from the DB so the tests did not impact on the rest of the installation. I don't now why I did, over thinking probably.

I just wanted to know your opinions on the extent off the marks I would lose on these questions? If i was wrong to do so.

They were both 15 markers, and I'm pretty sure everything else to do with my answers were spot on!!

My doubt now is that these would be a critical fail on these questions, wiping 30 marks away!!

Be interested to know your views??

In an office environment during working hours, i would have mentioned "Seek permission to isolate" somewhere in my answer. What were the 2 questions specifically?

For 15 mark questions, they want 15 specific things mentioning, you wont lose all 15 unless you don't mention any of them, so you will have got the right marks for the things you did mention

Cheers............Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
In an office environment during working hours, i would have mentioned "Seek permission to isolate" somewhere in my answer. What were the 2 questions specifically?

For 15 mark questions, they want 15 specific things mentioning, you wont lose all 15 unless you don't mention any of them, so you will have got the right marks for the things you did mention

Cheers............Howard

Thanks for the reply mate, been kicking myself since I left the exam room. You've now helped to put my mind at rest, where required I said seek permission to isolate and safe iso procedures etc.

The others said supply/circuit has been securely isolated in the question so no need.

Everything's crossed as apart from the above I felt it went really well. Life's been on hold for two weeks and could recite most of GN3 in my sleep.

Thanks again!

Done my 2391 written re-sit tonight. Overall I think it went pretty well, but the doubts are creeping in now.

Anyway there were two questions on IR and CCPC test procedures for a periodic on an office installation during it's operational hours.

I assumed that when conducting the above tests the rest of the installation was still in use. I indicated this in my answer also. As a result I stated that the conductors would need to be disconnected from the DB so the tests did not impact on the rest of the installation. I don't now why I did, over thinking probably.

I just wanted to know your opinions on the extent off the marks I would lose on these questions? If i was wrong to do so.

They were both 15 markers, and I'm pretty sure everything else to do with my answers were spot on!!

My doubt now is that these would be a critical fail on these questions, wiping 30 marks away!!

Be interested to know your views??

How can you state safe isolation procedures have been carried out if you state you are removing circuits from a live DB?

Just seems like a bit of a contradiction to me.

what i wrote for insulation test of ring!!!!

* Seek permission/ inform persons test is to be carried out
* Safely isolate, put up warning notices, secure the area
* prepare circuit for testing, removing equipment or devices vulnerable to test voltages
* Select Insulation resistance tester scale M ohms set to 500v dc
*check leads are fused, insulated no sign of damage and functioning
* test between live conductors (including neutral) and between line conductors and cpc's of the circuit
recording test result.
* re- instate circuit.

I know i probably missed somthing but hope i can get enough marks this exam does my head in haha.

good luck everyone!

How can you state safe isolation procedures have been carried out if you state you are removing circuits from a live DB?

This was/is my dilema. I really can't believe I wrote what I did. On all my practice papers and through my revision I never saw a request for it within test procedures, or saw it in test procedure answers. But, in the pressure of the exam I just over thought things.

However, been thinking about it (a lot) and now I may have a reason for why I did write it. On a practice paper I did, supplied by the college, the scenario realted to another Periodic inspection, this time for an Industrial Unit where it had been agreed within the extent and limitations that the supply could only be isolated for 1 hour.

Q. What essential tests need to be completed within this hour?
A. Ze, Ipf & Continuity of Main Pratective Bonding

That's the only reason I can think of why my logic played tricks on me. Other than that, I know my answers were good and providing what Sirkit Breaker says is true around key items for marks then I may just get away with it.

Think I'll be booking on the March re-sit just in case though....bugger!

Well good luck mate lets hope you pass. Pressure on the day can make the mind do funny things hopefully you will only lose a couple of marks.

It's enough to turn you doolaly mate!! The fifteen mark question for what inspections need to take place before testing on the car park lighting circuit spun me!!! Had a total blank moment and start waffling a load of old tosh just to try collar some marks!! Why couldn't we of had an easy earth fault path diagram!! Had the kids felt tip pens at the ready to earn an easy fifteen points and didn't come up!!

Reckon I done well in section A but section B may have been a bit weak in areas!! I was told you need around 90 marks for pass don't know how true that is!

Thanks for the reply mate, been kicking myself since I left the exam room. You've now helped to put my mind at rest, where required I said seek permission to isolate and safe iso procedures etc.

The others said supply/circuit has been securely isolated in the question so no need.

Everything's crossed as apart from the above I felt it went really well. Life's been on hold for two weeks and could recite most of GN3 in my sleep.

Thanks again!

Dont beat yourself up about it. Nobody will get everything right, me included and i teach this stuff. If you can recite GN3 in your sleep, you will have done OK. The main failings with this exam, are use of incorrect terminology, describing a test procedure that hasn't been asked for i.e describing a continuity test instead of IR test, drawing the incorrect loop path i.e TT instead of TNCS, so in most cases, the ones who have the knowledge and read the questions properly generally fair well, and those who have/do nether will fail.

I was just the same when i did mine a few years ago.

Let us know how you do in due course.

Cheers..........Howard

It's enough to turn you doolaly mate!! The fifteen mark question for what inspections need to take place before testing on the car park lighting circuit spun me!!! Had a total blank moment and start waffling a load of old tosh just to try collar some marks!! Why couldn't we of had an easy earth fault path diagram!! Had the kids felt tip pens at the ready to earn an easy fifteen points and didn't come up!!
I know what you mean mate no damn earth fault diagram lol would have scraped some nice points :(

Reply to 2391 Test Procedure for Periodic in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net