Discuss 2391 the changes, from the horses mouth at City and Guilds. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SirKit Breaker

Hello all,

I am now in possession of a circular from C&G detailing the changes to the short courses.

BS7671:2008 (2011) and City and Guilds qualifications.

Here goes.

How will the wiring regulation changes affect the 2391 inspection, testing and certification of electrical qualification?

The existing suite of 2391 qualifications will be replaced by the following qualifications
  • 2394 Level 3 Initial Verification of Electrical Installations
  • 2395 Level 3 Periodic Inspection, Testing and reporting of Electrical Installations
  • 2396 Level 4 Design of Electrical Installations
Exact titles for qualifications are to be confirmed, and the above titles are given as an indication of content only. All the above qualifications are due to launch on November 26th 2011, and will be on the QCF (Qualification Framework Credit) and will be written in line with BS7671:2008 (2011)

How long will the 2391 qualifications remain?

2391 closes for new registrations on 31 December 2011, with a final certification date of 31 December 2013. dated entry exams will continue to be available until the summer of 2012, exact final dates of the 301 and 303 exams to be confirmed.

Which version of the regs should candidates apply knowledge of when undertaking 2391 assessments

Until 31 December 2011, candidates may answer to either the 2008 (Red Book) or 2011 (Green Book) version of the regs. After this date candidates must answer in line with the 2011 Amendment 1 version (Green Book).

Can 2391 units be used towards achievement of the 2394, 2395 or 2396?

It is not anticipated that candidates who hold 2391 units will be able to use these towards the new qualifications. Candidates who have achieved one of the 2391 units but not completed the full qualification should ensure that they complete the remaining unit prior to the final certification date.
Please note that the 2391-301 and 2391-303 exams are not likely to continue beyond mid 2012, although this is subject to demand. They may continue beyond this date, but with a reduced number of examinations per year.

There are also other changes to most of the short courses and a new Domestic NVQ diploma for Electricians only working in the domestic market, but the memo runs to 8 pages and i aint typing it all out. If you have any specific questions please post and ask DONT fill my inbox with PM's.

Cheers..........Howard

I can bet it wont be made any easier though.

We'll revisit that statement after the course has been run a couple of times I think.:smiley2:

All qualies have gotten progressively easier each time they have been messed about with since the demise of the 2360 IMO.

I cant really see this being any different TBH.

Thanks for the info Sirkit, answered my question from another post.
I was thinking of doing the 2391 soon, do you reckon its advisable to wait for the new one or to do it now?
Also is that 3 seperate courses? 3 seperate qualifications? 3 seperate course fees's?

We'll revisit that statement after the course has been run a couple of times I think.:smiley2:

All qualies have gotten progressively easier each time they have been messed about with since the demise of the 2360 IMO.

I cant really see this being any different TBH.

Totally agree. I'd put money on the pass rate, well, shooting up, as IQ's will suddenly increase and efforts made by students, etc etc there goes a pig through the air

Thanks for the info Sirkit, answered my question from another post.
I was thinking of doing the 2391 soon, do you reckon its advisable to wait for the new one or to do it now?
Also is that 3 seperate courses? 3 seperate qualifications? 3 seperate course fees's?
If you feel confident that you will pass the existing 2391, then I would think doing it now would be best.
Otherwise, to have the equivalent qualifications will involve 3 courses and 3 lots of fees, and I bet they won't be a third of the price.

i aint a 100% ready for it, buty il be booking on it before cut off.. and probably sit in january....... does anyone know what the exam fees are for this 2391...

The 2391/2392 is already 3 separate courses.
There is no change there.
You have 2392 the initial verification course, relatively new course, does not cover PIR's, course and exams. not overly familiar with this as have not studied it or taken the course or taught the course.
Then you have 2391-10 the "old" 2391, which is the I&T course, course with prac & theory exams.
Then you have the 2391-20 "old" 2400 which is the design course, a course with prac & theory exams & a design project.
You are exempt the 2391-20 prac if you have passed the 2391 prac as they are one in the same.
So, what is the difference with the new courses.
3 courses covering 3 fields with exams, both theory & practical & IIRC a project still so...

The difference is?

Apart from hat is the old "2400" now being a L4 course.

As far as I understand it no replacement exams the 2391 will still be valid, though in time I suspect that employers etc. will be pushing for new recruits to have the new exams.

Mind your apprenticeship is never out of date, a degree is never out of date, so I can't see how 2391 can aver be out of date.

The regs courses require upgrades because the regs change.

As far as I understand it no replacement exams the 2391 will still be valid, though in time I suspect that employers etc. will be pushing for new recruits to have the new exams.

Mind your apprenticeship is never out of date, a degree is never out of date, so I can't see how 2391 can aver be out of date.

The regs courses require upgrades because the regs change.

NO, ...but they will be wanting a wedge of money to confirm that it is equivalent to the new certificate in years to come. Which in all probability will be a far better qualification to have!! lol!! That's what they are doing now with the older, better qualifications.
Why they have to muck about with different course numbers, has always escaped me, unless confusion helps their coffers grow!!

So is my 2391 qualification (that I worked hard on and paid a lot of money to sit) going to turn out to be a waste of time and money??? I hope not!!

Will I need to do a resit or update?

So is my 2391 qualification (that I worked hard on and paid a lot of money to sit) going to turn out to be a waste of time and money??? I hope not!!

Will I need to do a resit or update?

NO gaz, ...if your going by what i was saying in my post, i'm talking about in years to come. When the younger bosses, and/or clerks at these various institutions (like JIB etc) wouldn't have ever heard of the C&G 2391, like they have never heard of the older numbered C&G.... So don't lose your 2391 certs, or you could be chasing your tail in years to come. ..lol!!

I was going to do the 2391 as soon after christmas as i could afford it, but i mght have to rush onto it now. I bet therell be loads of people saying the new quals arent as good. Todays sparks who respect the 2391 are tomorrows bosses offering jobs.

Reply to 2391 the changes, from the horses mouth at City and Guilds. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net