Discuss 2391 theory pass rate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

RILEYTHESPARK

Hi everyone this is my first post so i hope i'm doing everything ok. I have just passed my practical 2391-10 and i am waiting for my theory result (City and guilds marking time is a joke) and i was wondering does anybody know the usual pass rate for this i.e % of paper any info would be gratefully excepted.

I have been told the pass mark is something as poor as 20% meaning only 2 pass out of every 10... Hope this hasnt put shivers up you lol...
Im going for it soon and doing every bit of revision possible, so hopefully might just scrape through..

How do you think you did?,

Not sure to be honest i spoke to a few lads after the exam and we all seemed to struggle on the same questions so no real pointers. I did 2 hours revision every night and i would advise you to make Guidance note 3 book (if you have it or buy if you don't) your bible as this helped me with my revision a great deal.

When i took the course with my company sponsoring me, 9 out of 10 of us passed the exam, we couldn't believe it because it was suppose to be around 30% pass rate.

I would say to get VERY familiar with all forms of testing on ALL circuits i.e radials and rings, lighting and sockets and take it from there. Be sure to be very clear when writing your answers.

Especially when explaining a test. Ensure that you get ALL parts correct in order, because if u miss one part you will not get marked any further for tht question.

REMEBER:
Ask permission to isolate first!
Safely Isolate and lock off! (Prove, Test, Prove)

Many people forget those two at the beginnign therefore get 0 marks for whole question.

Hope I have helped.

Matt

Hi everyone this is my first post so i hope i'm doing everything ok. I have just passed my practical 2391-10 and i am waiting for my theory result (City and guilds marking time is a joke) and i was wondering does anybody know the usual pass rate for this i.e % of paper any info would be gratefully excepted.

I've just passed mine, was told it is a floating mark, C&G limit it to 40%.pass. so if when you sat your exam every candiate was clever pass mark would be high, and vice versa.

I did my 2391 with Lockwell in tewkesbury - course was 5 days - although in reality it was 4 days and then the practical test on the 5th day which only took about 1 1/2 hours. Cost £500 + VAT. I passed.

Check out the link below, gives you all the pass rates for previous exams.;)
Did mine back in july and was one of the 53% that passed.:)
You will see june 08 was 40% pass, march 08 53% and feb 08 53% so looks like 53% is the favoured number at present.
To all of you that are either taking this exam or considering taking it, best of luck.
If you can understand what they are saying it is a very good course.(apparently cos they lost me on day 2 lol)

City & Guilds | 2391-101 Chief Examiners' report

REVISION ---If anyone needs revision - Type in 'swindon massive' into google. A lecturer runs this website with loads of stuff on all the C&G courses including tests. Some free,but cheap to subscribe on other bits of it....

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries. If you read the reports you will see most people fail on silly things like correct terminology. Then again its probably one of the hardest exams you will take in this trade so really you should be up to speed with everything needed to make the grade to warrant a pass.;)
Best of luck

hi i just passed my 2391 practical today only proplem is now i gotta wait for me theory results to come in, i sat the 2 and half hour written exam first week in december, does anybody know how long it takes for results to come threw the door??? cheers

hi i just passed my 2391 practical today only proplem is now i gotta wait for me theory results to come in, i sat the 2 and half hour written exam first week in december, does anybody know how long it takes for results to come threw the door??? cheers

Think it is normally about three months roughly, so you might get them say mid Feb?

Good Luck!

Warren

C&g aim to post results within 42 days.

When i took mine it was just about 42 days but i have heard of others waiting 3 months or more when c&g drag their feet

also dont forget youve got the christmas holiday slap bang in the middle of your waiting time so i would allow at the very least an extra couple of weeks :eek:

best of luck anyway ;)

Last edited:
thanks fellas, the 2391 is the be all and end all

everyday seems like a year waiting for the knock on me door to sign for me certificate, roll on mid feb, i'll be out of me misery thn! it'll be a case of to be or not to be! lol

Hi Guys this is my 4 time taking this exam lol, my College is giving me my last chance on the 14th March, I have been revising for the last 30 days! should I stick to past papers or skim through guidance note 3, anyway wish me luck or say a prayer Cheers

Hi Guys this is my 4 time taking this exam lol, my College is giving me my last chance on the 14th March, I have been revising for the last 30 days! should I stick to past papers or skim through guidance note 3, anyway wish me luck or say a prayer Cheers
yes and thats how to get through this exam...
best of luck fella....

GN3 and revise on formulas,procedures,etc,you may not get any questions to do with old papers but they can help with the way answers should be put down to maximise points on each question,lets hope that the 2391 stays and is never made multiple choice,hope you get through it.

Past papers and GN3 mate. Papers to get used to how they phrase the questions and the terminology used/expected and GN3 to make sure you get the test sequences/techniques right

well when i did this one i started with the 6 structured questions first....and gave myself 1 1/2 hours for those....the last hour i spent on the 20 short questions....
now, City & Guilds will tell you to do the 20 short questions first.....thats a nonsense.
you can tackle this one ANY WHICH WAY YOU WANT....
answer all the questions posed to you...even an attempt will be worth marks
(as long as there is some truth in the answer)
dont forget to make it clear as to whether you are conducting a live or a dead test.
remember stuff like correct terminology as one of the 3 examiners down at city & guilds HQ has a thing about terminology...so proper descriptions like
`low resistance ohmmeter` and `insulation resistance tester` is the way....not drivvel like a `megger` or a `continuity tester`
even putting stuff in like asking permission from the `person ordering the work` before carrying out testing will get the mark...
and dont forget that `inspection always precedes testing with the installation isolated from the supply` and that the senses used during an inspection will include:
sight
smell
touch
etc
anyway....best of luck with this one....

Reply to 2391 theory pass rate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock