Discuss 2391 Theory Test Paper in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

r10ley

Hi all, I got given a past exam paper from the 2391 course tutor however it doesnt come with any answers so I thought id put the question and my answers on here to see if im going down the right track and also to help anyone else taking this course so please correct me if im wrong because I probably am.

Q1. BS 7971 requires an inspection to be made on installed electrical equipment during the initial verification. State the three areas to be verified.

A1. .All electrical equipment and materials are of the correect type and comply with all relavent British Standards
.All part of the fixed installation are correctly selected and erected
.No parts of the fixed installation is visually damaged or otherwise defective

Q2. a) Two items of information regarding the protective device at the origin, to be obtained from the distribution network operator.
b) What the designer may take into account when determining maximum demand

A2. a) The rating of the device and its rated short circuit capacity
b) The full load of the installation with diversity applied

Q3. State one statutory and two non statutory publications which relate directly to the inspection and testing process

A3. Statutory - Electricity at work regulation, Non Statutory - BS7671 and Guidance note 3

Q4. A steel conduit and trunking installation has been erected and is to be inspected prior to the installation of cables. State three inspection items which will be checked using the sense of touch.

A4. No sharp edges, conduit is reamed and bushed
Trunking lids are secure
All conduit trucking and accessories are securely fixed

Q5. The electrical installation in a sandwich bar is to be inspected and tested in order for the owner to obtain a license from the local authority. State
a) the two parties with whom the inspector must discuss the requirements for the inspection and test
b) where the outcome of the discussion is to be recorded

A5. a) The local authority and the sandwich bar owner
b) On the periodic inspection report form under extent of installation inspected and limitations.

Q6. List three operational characteristics of a low resistance ohmmeter as identified in guidance not 3.

A6. .No load voltage between 4V and 24V
.Short circuit current not less than 200mA
.Test current a.c and d.c

Q7. a)State two reasons for the prescribed sequence of test prior to energising a new circuit.
b)State one test on an installation forming part of a TT system which may be carried out as either a live test or a dead test.

A7. a)To ensure that the polarity is correct and that no short circuits exist on the installation prior to energising it.
b) Resistance of the earth electrode (Ze)

Q8. State one method of verifying each of the following (each method must be different)
a)Continuity of a lighting circuit CPC
b)Continuity of a main protective bonding conductor 40m in length
c)Continuity of the earthing conductor

A8. a)R1 +R2 test
b)Wandering lead test
c) Ze test

Q9. A conductor of length 50m has a resistance of 2.3mohms/m. A second identical conductor is to be installed in parallel with this conductor. Determine the total resistance of these two conductors when connected in parallel. Show all calcs.

A9. Resistance of conductor = (2.3 x 50)/1000 = 0.115
1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2
1/RT = 1/0.115 +1/0.115
1/RT = 17.4
RT = 1/17.4
RT = 0.057 or 57mohms

Q10. State a)two factors which will reduce the insulation resistance of a new installation measured at the distribution board with all the circuits connected.
b)the voltage to be applied when testing the insulation resistance of a 400V ac circuit

A10. a) Number of circuit connected in parallel
b) Length of circuit (decrease when longer)

Q11. A circuit which includes surge protection devices is to be tested to determine insulation resistance. State
a)two methods recognised in BS7671 for safely testing this circuit
b)the minimum test voltage which can be applied

A11. a) Remove surge protection and link out or if not possible test with reduced test voltage
b)250V dc

Q12. An insulation resistance test is carried out on each of the following circuits. State the test voltage to be used in each case.
a)25V SELV lighting circuit
b)650V three-phase motor circuit
c) 110V reduced low voltage circuit

A12. a)250V DC
B)1000V DC
C)500V DC

Q13. State three special locations identified in BS7671 which are divided into zones

A13. Swimming pool, Area containing a bath or a shower, A sauna

Q14. State the appropriate IP protection to be provided for the
a)top surface of a readily accessible motor starter
b)front of a readily accessible distribution board
c)internal barrier within a consumer unit where the cover can be removed without the use of a tool or key

A14. a)IPXXD
b)IPXXB
c)IPXXB

Q15. A BS 1361 fuse is to be used to provide overcurrent and fault protection for a new circuit. State the effect on the operation of the fuse when the following conditions occur if the fuse was installed in the neutral conductor,
a)overload fault
b)earth fault
c)short circuit fault

A15. a)Fuse will operate however the supply will not be cut off
b) The fuse will not operate
c) The fuse will operate but the supply will not cut off

Q16. State a)The test instrument used to measure the earth electrode resistance for
i/ a generator
ii/ an installation protected by an RCD and forming part of a IT system
b)the number of readings to be taken for the test in a)i/ above.

A16. a) i/Earth electrode resistance tester
ii/Earth loop impedance tester
b) 3

Q17. State a)two methods by which the external earth fault loop impedance (Ze) may be determined
b)one method of determining Zs when direct measurement is not possible (Not Ze)

A17. a)Driect measurement and enquiry
b)Calculation Zs=Ze+(R1+R2)

Q18. State the maximum permitted time/current performance criteria for a 30mA BS EN 61009 RCBO when tested at
a)15mA
b)30mA
c)150mA

A18. a) No trip
b) 300 ms
c) 40 ms

Q19. a) List the two test measurements to be taken in order to determine PFC at the origin of a single phase electrical installation
b) State which of the measured values is to be recorded

A19. a) Prospective earth fault current and Prospective short circuit current
b) The higher of the two

Q20. State three locations in an electrical installation where phase sequence would need to be confirmed

A20. Origin of installation, At the distribution board, At end of final circuit supplying a motor

Well thats the first 20 questions and my fingers are abit sore now lol. My only problem with this course is that some of the questions are so ambiguous half the time I know the answer just cant understand what the question nis answering me. So please if any of my answers are wrong let me know :D

Thanks

r10ley

8, I would consider using the terms 'Test method 1' and 'Test method 2'.
9, you have used R1 and R2, which are used to denote the resistance of Line conductors and CPCs. There is nothing in the text of the question to indicate the purpose of the conductors, and as the text states that the second conductor is 'in parallel', it would suggest that the two conductors are doing the same function. Your calculations produce answers that have 15 decimal places, which you have then rounded off. In your first calculation, you have divided by 1000, to produce units that are not used in the text of the question. Finally you have not used brackets within the majority of the calculations.
I believe the question is designed to determine whether you know what the effect of using two identical conductors in parallel would be.
I would just write
2.3 X 50 = 115.
115 / 2 = 57.5mΩ.
57.5 / 1000 = 0.0575Ω. If you want to change units.
10, you have only answered the first part of the question, and you don't need to stae 'in parallel'.
14, I would consider using both IPXXD & IP4X, and IPXXB and IP2X in your answers.
Everything else appears fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
In guidance notes three test metod one is where you join the live and CPC at the DB, then test at every outlet on the circuit between live and earth.

Test Method 2 is the use of a wandering lead. Usually to measure R2 and bonding!

Aaaa ok, gonna type up the other questions because im realy bored at work lol see if im going down the right track

Thanks again

r10ley

The owner of a small industrial unit requires an additional exterior lighting circuit to be installed for security purposes. At the same time the existing electrical installations is to be inspected and tested in order to obtain insurance cover for the premises.
The electrical installation forms part of a 400/230 V TN-C-S system with a Ze of 0.1 ohms and a PFC of 4.6KA. The existing installation comprises 70oc thermoplastic insulated single core copper cables contained within a steel trunking and conduit containment system. A separate CPC is installed for each circuit and is contained within the trunking and conduit.
The three-phase distribution board is located at the origin of the installation and contains a mixture of BS EN 60898 circuit breakers and BS EN 61009 RCBOs.
Below shows information on the resistance if conductors in mohms/m
Conductor csa mohm/m at 20oc
1.5 12.10
2.5 7.41
4.0 4.61
6.0 3.08
10.0 1.83

Q21.
a)List the documents that must be completed and issued to the client on the completion of the electrical work (6 marks)
b)List the parties who would be involved in determining the extent and limitation of the inspection and testing of the existing installation. (3 marks)
c)State where the decision in b) above is to be recorded. (1 mark)
d) i/Title given in law to the inspector
ii/Legal status of the inspector (2 marks)
e)List three items of information which must be available to the inspector regarding the distribution network operators equipment (3 marks)

A21.
a) Electrical installation certificate for new lighting circuit accompanied with schedule of inspections and schedule of test results and a periodic inspection report accompanied by a schedule of inspections and schedule of test results.
b)The insurer, The owner and the Tester
c)On the periodic inspection report
d) i/ Duty Holder
ii/ Competent person
e)Type of earthing arrangement, Supply protective device characteristics (Type and current rating) and External earth loop impedance

Q22.
a)One part of the building has an area where chemical etching and washing down takes place.
i/ List three factors which must be considered when inspecting the containment system in this particular area.
ii/ Identify for each of the factors given in a i/ above the human senses that would best determine compliance (9 marks)
b)The owner has agreed that the whole installation may be isolated in order for testing to be carried out. There has been a period of one hour allocated for this work. List the tests that must be carried out during this period (individual circuits may be isolated after this period). (6 marks)

A22.
a) i/ . System selected and routed to prevent water ingress
. System selected and routed to prevent corrosion caused by chemicals
. No idea of a 3rd?
ii/ .Sight
. Sight
. ?
b) .Global insulation test
. External earth fault loops impedance (Ze)
. Prospective short circuit current
. Prospective earth fault current
. Continuity of main and supplementary bonding

Q23. A test of continuity is to be carried out on the main protective bonding conductor to the gas service located 30m from the origin of the installation. Describe how this test is to be carried out after safe isolation has been completed. Your answer should include:
a)Initial safety precautions
b)Instrument used
c)Test procedure
d)Final safety procedures

A23.
.Inform people testing will be carried out and put up notices
. Remove bonding conductor from main earth terminal to remove parallel paths
. Use low resistance ohm meter ensuring it is in working order
. Null test leads or note resistance
. Use a long wandering lead note resistance or null
. Attach one end of wandering lead to removed bonding conductor
. Walk the lead out to gas pipe
. Attach low resistance ohm meter to other end of wandering lead and onto gas pipe which will also test the integrity of the earth clamp
. Set low resistance ohm meter to low ohms scale and record result
. Reinstate bonding conductor into main earth terminal
. Inform people before the supply is to be reinstated

Q24. A continuity of ring final circuit conductors test is to be carried out on a circuit supplying the office. The circuit is wired in 2.5mm cable with 1.5mm cpc. The loop length of the cable is 65m. All socket outlets are connected directly on the ring. Explain in detail, using the information given in figure 1, the three steps required to confirm the continuity of this circuit.
Your explanation should include the
. test instrument
. test connections and the expected readings at each stage
Show all calculations

A24. The test instrument used is a low resistance ohm meter. First test is an end to end of the line neutral and cpc of the ring. This is confirm all conductors form a complete ring. The expected results are:

Line – line – 2.5mm cable = 7.41 mohm/m
(7.41x65)/1000 = 0.48 ohms

Neutral – Neutral – Same as above

Cpc – Cpc – 1.5mm = 12.1 mohms/m
(12.1x65)/1000 = 0.786 ohms

Next cross connect line and neutral of the ring L1 + N2 and L2 +N1 and test at all socket outlets
Expected readings:

R1+Rn = (r1+rn)/4 = (0.48+0.48)/4 = 0.24 ohms

Next cross connect line and cpc L1 + cpc2 and L2 + cpc1 and test at all socket outlets
Expected readings:

R1+R2 = (r1+r2)/4 = (0.48+0.786)/4 = 0.32 ohms

21,b) Should be inspector, as your tester wouldn't be expected to have an opinion.
21,c) where on the PIR?
22,a,i) Perhaps the selection and suitabillity of fixings for the containment. Not much point in choosing a containment sytem that is proof against corrosion if the fixings used corrode.
22,a,ii)Touch? The security of fixings could be checked by appropriate tugging.
Could smell be a factor to see whether corrosive gases have entered the containment system?
23,c)Would you not disconnect the conductor at the gas pipe to also negate any parallel paths?

I agree with you bar 23 c). Alot of question you know the answer but forget to actually write down everything you should. With 23 c) ive been taught and read to test with you clip actually on the pipe which will test the integrity of your clamp. The parallel paths will be removed as long as you disconnect from one end I believe.

Thanks for your help

r10ley

hi mate if you havent already got it i would recommend buying the exam success book by the iee made it alot easier for me has two model exams in there with good answers remember there is no specific answers for most of the questions but various answers that will get the marks, or better still if your in essex u can have mine i still have it sittin ere, and im sure there tutor has already told ya this but if not answer all questions with bullet points simple and straight to the point dont write essas u dont have enough time and end up waffling on about stuff they dont wanna know, if this is any help.

Thanks for the advice....spose the bible is really GN3 (and spinlondon knows his stuff).

I recon anyone who manages to bodge their way through their 2391 should also know their way through GN8....but thats another story..

im hyper-veti-lating.

is it okay to export an earth from my PME supplly to my out building?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they are couple of the questions are abit of a pig I thought lol. Suppose you can pass all the past papers you want its the one you get on the day that count. O well practicle tomorrow so im going to forget the theory for a couple of days lol.

Cheers for your help

r10ley

The more past papers you do the easier the exam will be. Especially the first 20 questions.

Do as many past papers as you can get your hands on.

Understand the earth fault loop diagram for all systems.

Understand continuity of the ring final circuit testing.

Good luck with your practical.

Hi mate good luck you have done ok with most of your answers but use correct terminlology as they will pick you up on it use what is wrote in GN3 and for the continuity of ring final circuits do it in 3 steps
step 1 End to End
step 2 cross connect Line and Neutral
step 3 cross connect line and CPC

do as SMB says and get exam success as many Pat papers you can
cristopher kitchers guide to inspection and testing is a good book and its cheap from amazon think it was £11.55 last time i looked I have loads of books i bought
and this was the one which explained it in easier terms
GN3 is the bible though as this is what its based on
also get acopy of GS38 learn that
memorandum of guidance on Electricity at work regs 1989

and when naming stat and non stat docs use for example

stat
health and safety at work act 1974
Electricity at work regulations 1989
non stat
Guidance Note 3
On- Site Guide
BS7671 or the requirments for electical installations

Safe isolation procedure
tests in sequence
learn how to explain in bullet points to save time with or without diagrams
and as you have above with calcs for the continuity of ring final circuits

from what I have read you shouldnt go far wrong mate

Good luck

Reply to 2391 Theory Test Paper in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net