Discuss 2391 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Pete ball

IM new to this forum so hello everyone ;) ! if u don't need the 2391 to become an approved contractor with the nic eic then what is the point the exam????? ! I no it's good to have more qualifications but it's just a thought !!!;)

It's always been a proof of competence as far as the industry is concerned.

As you know there is no need for any qualifications to under take electrical work, but the qualifications associated with the industry are proof of competence. So as long as nothing goes wrong anyone can do it, ............................... but if anything goes wrong and you don't have these little bits of paper, then the brown smelly stuff hits the fan

The 2391-10 is a case in sample. If you have it you tend to get a little less rougher ride with an assessment body as the qualification is proof you are of a certain standard. If you don't have it they will be a little stricter, a lot more probing about your competence

The 2391 was introduced at the behest of the NICEIC, so that their QS's would have a qualification to prove their competence.
Unfortunately, so few managed to pass it, that it was dropped as a requirement.

I dont think that is exactly true ! the 2391 will teach you the methods and practices in order to undertake the testing and inspections of the work that you carry out. Not only that unless its changed that much from the 2391 i did back in 2003 when it was all in one not seperated but it will explain the understanding of what a installation is doing and how it will perform. As for the NICEIC enrolment they want to know that you can do your work correctly and competently any one can do electrics not everyone knows how to do it correctly . But to be in their club you obey their rules. When i was a assessor for them i had to enforce their will to make sure that the proposed qs not only understood the ins and outs of a ducks arse but they could perform it not only could they do the inspection write the sheets and such but they could look at a certificate and understand everything on it is correct and right during your assessment the inspector will check your certificates for this.

It's not a bad exam to have passed if you are applying for jobs.
if 2 sparks have it and your the one not to have it, it doesn't take a genius to work out who will get an interview
i honestly didn't find it too bad, just make sure you revise, revise, revise
good luck

Have had the benefit of doing the EITB electrician practical methods back in the days of 15th and in the last couple of years done a couple of C&G courses to get back to 17th. The 2391 is the only one that comes remotely close to a proper test of your understanding and practical application.
I would do it anyway as its the minimum you will need before going into industry and large commercial - if you have had the good fortune to have worked on industrial stuff, the worst thing on the 2391 is neons and 2way light switch :)

I passed the 2391 practical assessment today - a step in the right direction. Now to learn GN3 inside out and backwards for the October exam.

Well done! - Interesting how long it takes under exam conditions when some claim a complete house PIR in a couple of hours.

To be honest, i don't know why this 2331-10 isn't a compulsory qualification to hold full electricians status. After all, if you can't competently test as a second nature, then your not really an electrician, but an installer...

Never quite understood the mentality of ''why should i improve myself'' when i don't need it for this that or the other attitude.

Lack of mental confidence which encourages a fear of exams leading to a denial of service.

I have had guys in the class who get terrified and complain that the teacher isn't any good, but what they are really saying is that they don't understand and this chap out the front is making me look a fool.
The big problem is that the daft buggers who call themselves managers, believe them.

For all those out there who are looking at taking this exam (although I thought this one had finished) You only have 4 days in which to get your head around GN3 as well as your basic level 2 Maths and English comprehension up to speed and then you only have 2.5 hours to answer 60 questions for part A and 6 questions for part B, so you need to hit the ground running.

Lack of mental confidence which encourages a fear of exams leading to a denial of service.

I have had guys in the class who get terrified and complain that the teacher isn't any good, but what they are really saying is that they don't understand and this chap out the front is making me look a fool.
The big problem is that the daft buggers who call themselves managers, believe them.

For all those out there who are looking at taking this exam (although I thought this one had finished) You only have 4 days in which to get your head around GN3 as well as your basic level 2 Maths and English comprehension up to speed and then you only have 2.5 hours to answer 60 questions for part A and 6 questions for part B, so you need to hit the ground running.

Apparently the 'final' exam is in December. Having said that it appears (from the Guilds' website) that they are planning to run exams until July 2015.

On reading the examiners notes it looks like most fail the exam because they throw away marks by failing to correctly name the test device being used for any particular test or they launch into a description of, say, a dead test without the 'preamble' of safe isolation and setting up the meter etc.

I agree that understanding the question in the first place is a key step ;)

Thats interesting to hear spinlondon, i hadnt realised it was the NIC who had influence

Any idea when it was introduced?, i have friends who completed theirs back in 1996, so im aware its been around a long time

Reply to 2391 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock