Discuss 2396 Design Course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Long time no post... been very busy and simply not had time, actually its probably been since last summer, you know, got married, then kids started school in September, the Mrs says put that sodding phone down etc..

Anyway, I am about to book on the 2396 Design course.

I know roughly what the course is about and whats involved, but would like to speak with someone who has actually done and completed it and the portfolio to find out what exactly is involved and what sort of thing you need to produce basically.

I feel before I part with money I should know what I am letting myself in for.

I did the 2394 and 2395 just over two years ago and naturally have been progressing through my career quite well and my experience and knowledge has obviously got better in the time too, I know what sort of thing to expect on the written side of things from the 2394 / 2395 but its more this project Id like to speak with someone about.

If anyone has 5 - 10 mins free and wouldn't mind having a chat about it, can you message me please with your number and convenient time to call.

Thanks very much.

Hi,

Long time no post... been very busy and simply not had time, actually its probably been since last summer, you know, got married, then kids started school in September, the Mrs says put that sodding phone down etc..

Anyway, I am about to book on the 2396 Design course.

I know roughly what the course is about and whats involved, but would like to speak with someone who has actually done and completed it and the portfolio to find out what exactly is involved and what sort of thing you need to produce basically.

I feel before I part with money I should know what I am letting myself in for.

I did the 2394 and 2395 just over two years ago and naturally have been progressing through my career quite well and my experience and knowledge has obviously got better in the time too, I know what sort of thing to expect on the written side of things from the 2394 / 2395 but its more this project Id like to speak with someone about.

If anyone has 5 - 10 mins free and wouldn't mind having a chat about it, can you message me please with your number and convenient time to call.

Thanks very much.
I did the 2400 which was 2391 and 2400 combined, the project is a complete headache, I was give drawings, specifications etc, I was expected to mark cable routes, containment routes for all services F/A, I/A, Sub Mains, Location of DBs, why you opted for whatever type of cable etc you have used, cable calcs, lengths of cable etc, and produce a Maintenance manual with as much information as you can, photos, spec sheets, I was given so many hours to complete, not something I did in the classroom it was all homework, a right so and so of a project. Good luck, it can't have changed all that much.

Nope @Pete999, it is pretty much the same as that.

The course is based on cable calcs and regs, and the assignment is pretty much still as you described. I found the exam the tough bit, 3 hours of non stop writing to still not complete the paper !

Uksparks, to go for it if you fancy challenging yourself and learning a bit more than you maybe already know. I did it as I had just completed my 2394/5 and thought I would add another string to my bow for my later career whilst I had my head in the books. You will however need lots of free time and this is not to be underestimated. The assignment asks for a minimum input of 40 hours of your own time. You can expect to double that to do a good job.

I found the course challenging but also quite fun. I did have some previous experience in job design, drawing management, and tender preparation which helped a bit.

thanks for the replies.

I know when I did the 94/95 it was a hard slog getting the paper completed in the time, its constant go go go and no stopping!

I have to say cable calcs and drawing is my weak point but I guess its nothing that cannot be improved on.

I suppose working in the domestic sector 99% then cable calcs and such like are not really an issue as such as its all quite basic and straight forward to a degree.

I would like to better myself and I feel if I had the 2396 it would certainly put me in a better position for later in life or need to get a job for whatever reason.

I have no idea where I would even start with the project so can only assume you are told and shown what to do within the 5 days and then you are left to crack on with it.

I read somewhere that the projects run in to 80+ pages.

Do you feel its something that most people are capable of completing and passing the written?

I did the 2400 which was 2391 and 2400 combined, the project is a complete headache, I was give drawings, specifications etc, I was expected to mark cable routes, containment routes for all services F/A, I/A, Sub Mains, Location of DBs, why you opted for whatever type of cable etc you have used, cable calcs, lengths of cable etc, and produce a Maintenance manual with as much information as you can, photos, spec sheets, I was given so many hours to complete, not something I did in the classroom it was all homework, a right so and so of a project. Good luck, it can't have changed all that much.
This is what I had to do in the C course.

thanks for the replies.

I know when I did the 94/95 it was a hard slog getting the paper completed in the time, its constant go go go and no stopping!

I have to say cable calcs and drawing is my weak point but I guess its nothing that cannot be improved on.

I suppose working in the domestic sector 99% then cable calcs and such like are not really an issue as such as its all quite basic and straight forward to a degree.

I would like to better myself and I feel if I had the 2396 it would certainly put me in a better position for later in life or need to get a job for whatever reason.

I have no idea where I would even start with the project so can only assume you are told and shown what to do within the 5 days and then you are left to crack on with it.

Do you feel its something that most people are capable of completing and passing the written?
uksparks, the project won't be a domestic dwelling, more than likely a small commercial unit with some industrial stuff as well, could be cable tray or basket, metal trunking which you will have to size accordingly metal conduit as well as plastic stuff, 80 pages + all calcs to be shown, a bitch of a job, I wish you luck, in my day the pass rate was less than 50%I was lucky I was given all the help from my employer I needed, most of the failures were blokes more interested in beer and smokes, some just got the units for 2391 and jacked it in
This is what I had to do in the C course.
The C course was a walk in the park compared to this baby

thanks for the replies.

I took the course over 12 evening sessions once a week instead of the 5 day intensive. I felt I got a lot out of the course doing it that way and that the short version would have seen my nut exploding.

The exam is a lot tougher than the 2394/5 written exams, I rattled through those in less than half the allotted time I think.

Cable calcs are gone through in detail in the course content, but a working knowledge of them would certainly help.
I would not say the course is for everyone. My 2394/5 classes were filled with all sorts of people of all abilities, the 2396 class was purely experienced mature electricians, but I think everyone passed. There was maybe only a couple of lads from my 2394/5 class that I think could have hacked the design course.

Yes the project runs long. You have to design and provide many spreadsheets with calculations built into them so a bit of computer savvy is handy. I found the project frustrating at times, but on the whole the course is rewarding and very worthwhile.

I did 2400 too, gunna brag now got a distinction.

I took the course over 12 evening sessions once a week instead of the 5 day intensive. I felt I got a lot out of the course doing it that way and that the short version would have seen my nut exploding.

The exam is a lot tougher than the 2394/5 written exams, I rattled through those in less than half the allotted time I think.

Cable calcs are gone through in detail in the course content, but a working knowledge of them would certainly help.
I would not say the course is for everyone. My 2394/5 classes were filled with all sorts of people of all abilities, the 2396 class was purely experienced mature electricians, but I think everyone passed. There was maybe only a couple of lads from my 2394/5 class that I think could have hacked the design course.

Yes the project runs long. You have to design and provide many spreadsheets with calculations built into them so a bit of computer savvy is handy. I found the project frustrating at times, but on the whole the course is rewarding and very worthwhile.

I think ill see what the bank balance is and get it booked up! I won't be a man until i've passed it. I feel it would certainly help justify my existence.

Thanks for starting this thread uksparks, because it's something I've gone over in my head and thought about doing before, I was wondering what would be the next course of action after it career wise, because I've worked next to lads who have HNDs and HNCs and are just plodding along with no end target at all!!

Again,
I'm also thinking about the design course and or hnc hnd after my apprenticeship well generally progress in my studies.
Good to hear people's opinions whose actually done the course

Reply to 2396 Design Course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net