Discuss 24 Volt Buggy Charging Generator Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mac550

Hi, Im just wondering if you guys could help me with something.
I am part way through making a electric powered buggy that iv made from old wheel chair motors, controller and batteries on a custom steel frame.
Motors run on a 24 volt system (max of 30 amp,(MCB)) via 2 12 volt 33 amp batteries.
the charger that came with the wheelchair is a 24v 4a transformer which is ok for charging it up at night, i want to build a gen set to have more than 4 mile,i have a honda gx 110 3.5hp engine which i want to power an alternator which i gonna mount onto a custom trailer to charge on the go (same basic thing as a diesel electric train, but with a petrol engine)

just want ask if there was any way i could charge both batteries from a 12 volt car alternator without using a transformer any such thing (wanna keep it simple). reason i ask is that i want it keep things as compact as possible and since 12v alternators are easier and cheaper to get hold of.

thanks for your help
Morgan

Easiest way would be a 24v alternator from a wagon or military Landrover.

You cant use a 12v alternator as the batteries are linked in series hence 24v, they would need to be linked in parallel for a 12v car alternator.

The only other way would be a DC-DC voltage convertor, but these aren't cheap and the alternator would probably push out too much current for the convertor.

Reply to 24 Volt Buggy Charging Generator Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net