Discuss 240v/12v LED strip lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
hi guys
Went yesterday to have a look at kitchen where the customer wants to change out some fluorescent lighting they have installed to the under cupboard and on top of the cupboards. They want to go down the route of LED strip lighting. I have only ever installed 12v LED strip, but I have seen the 240v LED strip and am thinking it may be easier to use this to connect straight into the 240v connection that is currently there. Has anyone used this and got any feedback on this and maybe the difference in quality. I’m thinking it will save having to install LED drivers of which I would possibly need 3.

240 or mains power will usually have a rectifier from a plug top ;-). More versatile you just have to do a fair bit of searching to find a brand that works for you. Sometimes you have no choice and a transformer plug- in is the way to go.
Kitchen islands and led tape are the current bane of my life as channels are routed in granite worktop but are not made wide enough for corner connections. You learn as you go!

I haven't used the 240V flexible LED strip and would tend to think it would be easier and cheaper to use low profile slim LED under cupboard strip lights instead.
However if the customer needs flexible or wants colour changing or such like then you are stuck with it. There should not be a significant difference from 12V strip except different cut points and the need to ensure secure connections and mounting.
The advantage of 12V LED strip is that it is running at a safe voltage so when it falls down it is not a significant risk.

I've used 240v LED strip, its ok for certain applications but its alot thicker than 12/24v strip it's probably the size of 6mm t&e, its not self adhesive either, it usually can only be cut in 1mtr sections so your need suitable clips to hold it in place and need to make sure you don't need it cut in smaller sections.
Think the stuff i used was from ledika
1m LED Strip, 220V AC, SMD5050, 60 LED/m - https://www.ledkia.com/uk/buy-custom-220v-240v-ac-led-strips/3735-1-metre-ac-220v-smd5050-led-strip-60-led-m.html

I always use led batten type lights for under cupboard lights, eliminates the need for the fiddly tape and having to find somewhere to put the driver. Straight swap for fluorescents and come in nearly all sizes too

Good question,
Personally from my experience importing, speaking to many other suppliers in the industry and supplying 4 different types of 240v LED strips from well known manufacturers - I would never use 240v LED strips or 240v neon flex.
The reasons is every single one doesnt last more than a year. Sections will inevitably go out and fail.
Ive seen it every single time and spoke to many other suppliers that have stopped selling the product.
It must be to do with the LED's and the 240v power that something deteriorates over time but not a long enough time (ideally 50,000 hours) but always within a year.
In theory the benefits are that you can have longer runs powered from one end, usually up to 20-30m(sometimes 50m). You also don't need a power supply saving costs there but 12v and 24v LED tapes are very reliable where as the 240v just isn't.
There maybe a supplier out there with a good product but I am yet to find one and would never risk it.

The 240v LED tapes usually have a wider cut point around 0.5m or 1m so they are not ideal for shorter runs with corners etc,

Good question,
Personally from my experience importing, speaking to many other suppliers in the industry and supplying 4 different types of 240v LED strips from well known manufacturers - I would never use 240v LED strips or 240v neon flex.
The reasons is every single one doesnt last more than a year. Sections will inevitably go out and fail.
Ive seen it every single time and spoke to many other suppliers that have stopped selling the product.
It must be to do with the LED's and the 240v power that something deteriorates over time but not a long enough time (ideally 50,000 hours) but always within a year.
In theory the benefits are that you can have longer runs powered from one end, usually up to 20-30m(sometimes 50m). You also don't need a power supply saving costs there but 12v and 24v LED tapes are very reliable where as the 240v just isn't.
There maybe a supplier out there with a good product but I am yet to find one and would never risk it.

The 240v LED tapes usually have a wider cut point around 0.5m or 1m so they are not ideal for shorter runs with corners etc,

Thank you John for a very informative answer, however, at your time of writing, was the flex 240 available from GAP Lighting?, im only asking as im looking to purchase similiar in the near future, thanks in advance, Alan

Thank you John for a very informative answer, however, at your time of writing, was the flex 240 available from GAP Lighting?, im only asking as im looking to purchase similiar in the near future, thanks in advance, Alan
You may not get an answer john watts hasn't been seen since September 2020.

Reply to 240v/12v LED strip lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock