Discuss 240V basic Qualifications in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

PhilPT

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

We are a small environmental monitoring company, all our equipment is 24V or 12V, however we occasionally have the option of mains supply. In these cases we step down the voltage within the panel, however this does mean we are often taking a cable from a 240v fused spur into our panel and the convertor. My questions are:
  1. Are we legally allowed to do this as the engineers do not hold electrical qualifications?
  2. If not are there any basic courses we could attend that will allow us to undertake this work?
I appreciate we could get a full certified electrician to undertake the work, but due to many of the locations it would be prohibitively expensive for a 5 minute job. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Does the fused spur (FCU to give it its proper name) already exist? Are you just connecting your equipment's cable to it?

Does the fused spur (FCU to give it its proper name) already exist? Are you just connecting your equipment's cable to it?
Yes that is already installed prior to us coming to site, we just isolate it, connect our cable from it to our cabinet. We make sure we use the correctly rated cable for this connection.

should not be a problem. alarm engineers are not always qualified electricians and they regularly connect their panels to a FCU that has been installed by an electrician. if in any doubt, isolate the circuit before connecting your equipment.

Yes that is already installed prior to us coming to site, we just isolate it, connect our cable from it to our cabinet. We make sure we use the correctly rated cable for this connection.

I think this is down to competency then. And safe working methods.

Tel you just beat me to it!

As above it is competency however if something were to go wrong and you had to prove this competency then you may have problems, how for example have they been deemed as being competent.

Are they aware that in the process of removing and refuting the FCU, they may loosen connections? Things like that should be considered.

This is the difficult part. I would say that the engineers concerned are very competent and do have several years experience, however we do have any specific training record to show that, hence I was wonder about a basic 240v course. We do have the full process mapped out in our RAMS so that the engineer has a process to follow, just not sure if that is enough.

Instead of a FSU, have you considered a lockable socket cover, then you can use a plug and avoid these issues. ?
I appreciate that we would be removing the need to wire into the FCU however we are still making a bare end 240v connection inside our cabinet so I would say the risk is still there.

But you wouldn't be disturbing existing fixed wiring that way.

I appreciate that we would be removing the need to wire into the FCU however we are still making a bare end 240v connection inside our cabinet so I would say the risk is still there.
obviously you connect in the cabinet first???

Thanks for all your input, it is appreciated. I think in summary we are OK without a qualification as long as we have a robust procedure and everyone is made aware and follows basic safety guidelines. There is also the option to have plugs fitted where circumstances allow which will further reduce the risk.

Reply to 240V basic Qualifications in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock