Discuss 240v Isolator in zone 1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just inspected an RCBO fed radial feeding an IP65 rotary isolator that then feeds an integral bath & hoist system in a nursing home. The bath has integrated controls so the isolator is not going to be used as a switch. Stupidly they have managed to locate this well within zone 1, it is easily reachable from the bath, approximately the same height as the edge of the bath. Firstly as this is a new build there was no need as the isolator could have been better placed. The regs allows for permanently connected equipment designed for the environment and integral switches. The circuit fails anyway as they've drilled the back out of the isolator thus lowering IP. Just wondering what your opinions are regarding the isolator assuming the IP65 rating had been maintained. I'm thinking that as it can be used as a switch I should treat it as such & therefore not allowed.

From your description, it doesn't seem like it is in zone 1.

Still not allowed in zone 2 - but is it more than 600mm from edge of bath?

From your description, it doesn't seem like it is in zone 1.

Still not allowed in zone 2 - but is it more than 600mm from edge of bath?

Thanks for that, been working for 14 days straight day and night so a little cock eyed. As you said Zone 2.

To add, yes it is well under 600mm from the bath, the bath also has a shower attachment for cleaning the elderly in a seat. To make matters worse the whole room is essentially a large wet room with a shower in the corner. As I said it already fails as the cables come in the back with no IP protection the water could easily run down the back and eventually fill the isolator, I assume the same goes for the IP rated connection point behind the bath but it has been placed so you cannot access therefore I cannot test to this point. My question was really about classifying the isolator as a switch even though it won't be used as such. Thinking about it clearly now though it is definitely 240v "switchgear" and not an integral part of equipment designed specifically for the area therefore it is another point that fails it. Not sure what they're going to do as it's fully tiled now. Probably sack me and pretend nothing is wrong!

Last edited:

Reply to 240v Isolator in zone 1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net