Discuss 247.9 volt in my home, 6 laptop chargers later? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mindiawl

Hi im new to this forum, thanks for accepting me. can anybody help please? i have gone through 6 laptop chargers in the last 9 months, i just mesured the voltage and peak is 247.9. will a surge protector keep it at 240v ???? or is there something i can buy to keep it at 240? because the chargers say 110v to 240v. so it must be that knackering my chargers? all advice welcome. Thanks in advance Meurig.

Hi and welcome to the forum:DA surge protector will protect your equiptment,as stated from voltage surges.It will not keep the voltage at 240V.The harmonical voltage limits in Europe and the UK are now 230V.-6% +10%(216.2V-253V).Hope this helps

Hi and welcome to the forum:DA surge protector will protect your equiptment,as stated from voltage surges.It will not keep the voltage at 240V.The harmonical voltage limits in Europe and the UK are now 230V.-6% +10%(216.2V-253V).Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply, do you think that its the voltage over the 240 that is wrecking my chargers?

Hi there, nothing rude about asking that lol. Yes im in North Wales. What can i do the regulate the voltage?
I found this mate on the web.
[edit] AC voltage stabilizers
A voltage stabilizer is a type of household mains regulator which uses a continuously variable autotransformer to maintain an AC output that is as close to the standard or normal mains voltage as possible, under conditions of fluctuation. It uses a servomechanism (or negative feedback) to control the position of the tap (or wiper) of the autotransformer, usually with a motor. An increase in the mains voltage causes the output to increase, which in turn causes the tap (or wiper) to move in the direction that reduces the output towards the nominal voltage.
An alternative method is the use of a type of saturating transformer called a ferroresonant transformer or constant-voltage transformer. These transformers use a tank circuit composed of a high-voltage resonant winding and a capacitor to produce a nearly constant average output with a varying input. The ferroresonant approach is attractive due to its lack of active components, relying on the square loop saturation characteristics of the tank circuit to absorb variations in average input voltage. Older designs of ferroresonant transformers had an output with high harmonic content, leading to a distorted output waveform. Modern devices are used to construct a perfect sinewave. The ferroresonant action is a flux limiter rather than a voltage regulator, but with a fixed supply frequency it can maintain an almost constant average output voltage even as the input voltage varies widely.
The ferroresonant transformers, which are also known as Constant Voltage Transformers (CVTs) or ferros, are also good surge suppressors, as they provide high isolation and inherent shortcircuit protections.
A ferroresonant transformer can operate with an input voltage range ±40% or more of the nominal voltage.
Output power factor remains in the range of 0.96 or higher from half to full load.
Because it regenerates an output voltage waveform, output distortion, which is typically less than 4%, is independent of any input voltage distortion, including notching.
Efficiency at full load is typically in the range of 89% to 93%. However, at low loads, efficiency can drop below 60% and no load losses can be as high as 20%. The current-limiting capability also becomes a handicap when a CVT is used in an application with moderate to high inrush current like motors, transformers or magnets. In this case, the CVT has to be sized to accommodate the peak current, thus forcing it to run at low loads and poor efficiency.
Minimum maintenance is required beyond annual replacement of failed capacitors. Redundant capacitors built into the units allow several capacitors to fail between inspections without any noticeable effect to the device's performance.
Output voltage varies about 1.2% for every 1% change in supply frequency. For example, a 2-Hz change in generator frequency, which is very large, results in an output voltage change of only 4%, which has little effect for most loads.
It accepts 100% single-phase switch-mode power supply loading without any requirement for derating, including all neutral components.
Input current distortion remains less than 8% THD even when supplying nonlinear loads with more than 100% current THD.
Drawbacks of CVTs (constant voltage transformers) are their larger size, high audible humming sound, and high heat generation

hi mate i had the same problem on a job in glasgow . scottish power sorted it out for me when i called them so give your supplier a call it worked for me

hi mate i had the same problem on a job in glasgow . scottish power sorted it out for me when i called them so give your supplier a call it worked for me

Thanks for reply, what do they do to sort it out then? does this mean my whole street is having the same problem? or is it meter thats the problem?

Reply to 247.9 volt in my home, 6 laptop chargers later? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net