Discuss 24v dc oil pressure switch in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyozz

can anyone help i have a 24vac oil pressure switch to wire up it needsto be wired from an existing panel... can i link out the existing 24v supply ??? it also needs wiring through a 24v light stack , green meaning normal pressure and red meaning high... the pressure switch has a common cable... a n/c cable... and a n/o cable.. can anyone give me a heads up o how to do this... or a very simple diagram would be brill. many thanks up front

Aren't oil pressure switches usually configured to bring in an alarm when they detect low oil pressure rather than high? High pressures are usually protected against using a mechanical bypass system.

Edit; Welcome to the forum by the way sparkyozz :)

Last edited:
I take it the single feed is switched between the two contacts when pressure is too high?
As such, I would take the n/c contact to the green light, and the n/o contact to the red light.
That way, when the switch operates, it will cut off the power to the green light and switch it to the red.

Maybe your right about the low pressure then rather than high.. thanks for that.. and thanks for welcoming me.. this forum will be good hlp with my limited knowledge

so if it is switched between the 2 contacts, will it run okay on with just a 24v supply to the common.. does it not need a negative or 0v???
sorry to sound slightly uneducated this is all new to me

these are normally mechanically operated, fluid pressure on a diaphragm will make and break your contacts, these in turn will either supply or cut the supply to a light on the stack which will have its own permanent 0V. So 24v to common, n/o to red or green, and n/c to the opposite

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hope a pressure switch would do more than just light some coloured lamps! :confused:

Welcome to the forum.

May I suggest a little tip?

To help us help you as best we can, it's highly desirable to be offered 'part numbers' or as much detail as you can. You will come to learn this the more you visit. You ask for a wiring diagram, yet we don't know what you have already... you state 24v dc in the title, then mention 24vac then just 24v. What have you got? ;)

hi sorry you right i have read back what i have posted it doesn`t make sense.

i have a 24vdc pressure switch with a common cable and a n/o and a n/c cable. i also have my 2 level stack lighting 1 red and 1 green,

i have it wired as i thought but no joy, in the base of the stack lighting i have the numbered connection which i assume the n/o and n/c cables go to and the only connection is the common! does this common need to have the 24v supply to it or the 0v ?

Reply to 24v dc oil pressure switch in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net