Discuss 24vDC relay to Switch 230vAC light circuit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum, and probably posting this in the wrong place but hope you can help.

I have a garage door control panel that has a 24v dc output (4 W max) that activates when the door is in operation. I want to use this to activate my relay and switch the live to a 230v light circuit on.

The relay is an MK3P-i:
24vDC relay to Switch 230vAC light circuit {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
24vDC relay to Switch 230vAC light circuit {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Can you elaborate on how this relay functions? The diagram is confusing me :)

Thanks Mr.S

I`m no expert, but when your coil is energised 2 and 10, you will have 3 switches making:
1, 4 and 5 is one switch
3, 6 and 7 is another switch
11, 9 and 8 is the other switch
1, 3 and 11 are your common contacts
4, 6 and 9 are your normally open contacts
5, 7 and 8 are your normally closed contacts

The 24v dc coil is terminals 2 and 10, apply 24v dc to these two and the relay is energised. Terminals 1 and 11 are both common so you could connect line and neutral for the 230v to each of these or just the line to one of them. Connect the outgoing line and neutral to 4 which corresponds with common terminal 1 then 9 which corresponds with common terminal 11. I think, tis early morning.

Hi - it uses 24V DC to operate the relay (good) and you want to use a switch inside it to operate a 230V AC light (also good as it says rated to 250V and 5A). Using the 24V door controller output the relay may only be energised when the motor needs to be on (i.e. for 20 seconds while door is moving ...). Remember safety safety safety. Maybe you need a remote control for your garage light? Or a new motor unit with built in light and timer?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have a garage door control panel that has a 24v dc output (4 W max) that activates when the door is in operation. I want to use this to activate my relay and switch the live to a 230v light circuit on.

As you describe things, the use of the 24V dc output to control a relay to turn a lamp on, will result in the lamp being lit only while the door is in operation/moving; the lamp will extinguish when the door comes to rest.

I suggest you check carefully what the instructions/specification for the control panel say about this 24V dc output. It may - I repeat may - have a timed on period suitable for the purpose you have in mind but you could be disappointed if it does not.

Hi,do you realise that the light would only remain on,during the operation cycle?

There is nothing more annoying,than seeing the last few closing inches,traps a pet/toy/finger.....and then be plunged in to darkness:eek:

Also,be aware that if your door actuator and lighting are fed from two different circuits,you have some other considerations to apply.

Depending on what you are desiring,a better system may be arranged using a PIR set-up.

The 24v dc coil is terminals 2 and 10, apply 24v dc to these two and the relay is energised. Terminals 1 and 11 are both common so you could connect line and neutral for the 230v to each of these or just the line to one of them. Connect the outgoing line and neutral to 4 which corresponds with common terminal 1 then 9 which corresponds with common terminal 11. I think, tis early morning.

Thank you that's confirmed my original guesses...

Hi,do you realise that the light would only remain on,during the operation cycle?

There is nothing more annoying,than seeing the last few closing inches,traps a pet/toy/finger.....and then be plunged in to darkness:eek:

Also,be aware that if your door actuator and lighting are fed from two different circuits,you have some other considerations to apply.

Depending on what you are desiring,a better system may be arranged using a PIR set-up.

The door is remote controlled and has various timer features etc, luckily the unit has a bulb inside it which lights up during door motion and stays on for a minute or two after the door has finished moving. So you can see where you are going when inside but outside i just wanted to mimic this with a light circuit i have already wired up to a switch inside.

The door actuator is just plugged into the plug circuit with a regular iec mains lead. I'm planning to run a live tail from the light breaker to terminal 1 on the relay and then terminal 4 on the relay to L2 on the light switch. - I would assume this is all fine.

Last edited:
As mentioned above: What circuit is the door wired to?
Where are you mounting the relay?
So the relay will replace the switch and not work in conjunction with it?

As mentioned above in my last post the Door Control unit is plugged into a sockets circuit. This also powers the door motor.

The relay will either be mounted in a new small breaker box specifically for the relay only, or in the main breaker box which would be easier and involve less routing of cables. - Not sure if there is any reason i can't mount it in the main box so please advise on this.

The 230v output from the relay will be wired into L2 on the light switch.

If I'm right this should mean that when the light switch isn't at (L1) position [Lights on permanently] They will be off unless power is provided to (L2) via the relay.

Not sure if there is any reason i can't mount it in the main box so please advise on this.

I can think of a couple of reasons, that relay won’t be designed or approved for fitting in the CU by the manufacturers.
Also having 24V cabling inside the CU needs careful thinking about and attention to the regulations or else a dangerous situation could occur.

Right,so you have a 24v lamp,on the actuator,and you are extending the feed to this,to your relay,in a separate enclosure,where you intend to link a lighting circuit feed,to the switched live in your outside light?

Reply to 24vDC relay to Switch 230vAC light circuit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock