Discuss 250v IR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My NIC assessor told me I can apply 643.3.2 (the part near the bottom about SPD's or "other" equipment) to all circuits.

It doesn't quite feel right but would save a lot of time not having to re-arrange rooms.

Any opinions?

Hey guys,

My NIC assessor told me I can apply 643.3.2 (the part near the bottom about SPD's or "other" equipment) to all circuits.

It doesn't quite feel right but would save a lot of time not having to re-arrange rooms.

Any opinions?
What sort of SPDs are they?

If we're talking domestic SPD at a consumer unit, then I don't see how it would be considered 'not reasonably practicable' to disconnect them or just pull out the inserts for a test. If there are lots of SPD sockets then it would apply to all those circuits, but not those without SPD on.

What do you mean by 're-arranging rooms'?

I can see the point, but equally 250V testing is not even matching the 358V peak AC voltage from normally working at 230V + 10% tolerance.

Usually the risk for electronics is when doing L-N testing on very low power devices like USB outlets, small LED bulbs, etc, and the IR tester is then able to charge up the internal PSU parts to around 500V, which is 40% above normal operating limits and quite likely to cause damage.

Testing L+N to E would not normally be a risk, as any filter capacitor from L-E should be of the class-Y sort (which should be OK for pulses to something like 5kV, or 1kV DC), but if you do see a low R at 500V then trying again at 250V would confirm if surge protection is present as you see a big difference (fraction Mohm at 500V, or tens of Mohm at 250V).

Also you often see DB size SPD that have a MOV (metal oxide varistor) between L & N which shows that sort of 500V/250V behaviour, but they have a GDT (gas discharge tube) from N-E and often they are completely open at 500V, but fraction M if tested at 1kV. Which you should not be doing anyway...

Reply to 250v IR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock