Discuss 25mm Knockout Metal Clad Boxes. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The cable I am using is 4mm NYY 3 Core cable. I went to a few wholesalers who said that I would need 25mm PVC Glands and would be best with 25mm Conduit, as 20mm would be too tight on the glands and the conduit would be a pain to pull the cable through, would be better with the bigger conduit and glands.

I may have missed something here but why are you installing NYY in flexible conduit? That seems like a very weird design to me, what's the purpose of the conduit?

Do y’all have rolls of wire you can buy instead of cables. My experience with European equipment only has cable that comes with the machines, then you have to over size the conduit just to pull the cable. We in the USA have to protect the cables according to the NEC. They are certain installations that we don’t have to run pipe. In the USA I would say that 50% of electrical work here is running conduit to get wires from point A to point B

As a basic overview:
We use single insulated conductors in conduit and trunking, which I would assume is the same thing you are referring to as wire.
We use insulated and sheathed cables if not enclosed inside conduit and trunking, these cables can include armour or other types of earthed metal shield. Depending on type and conditions these can be installed clipped directly to walls, tied to cable tray or ladder rack, buried etc etc

What the OP is doing sounds unusual and I can only assume they have a reason for doing it this way.

That cable is 13.1mm diameter
M20 fitting has a 15mm hole
20mm flexible conduit has a 14.1 bore

You should have no problem pushing 5m down by hand or even 10m with a draw wire.
If you do it when it’s a straight line.

Alternatively use singles down the conduit?

I may have missed something here but why are you installing NYY in flexible conduit? That seems like a very weird design to me, what's the purpose of the conduit?

I just wanted to use conduit as its going in a shed. I know its not needed but I just wanted to try it, plus it looks neater and cleaner than having a black cable clipped to wood.

I just wanted to use conduit as its going in a shed. I know its not needed but I just wanted to try it, plus it looks neater and cleaner than having a black cable clipped to wood.

If the cable is neatly installed then it will look a lot better than a flexible conduit clipped to the wall.

In that case, take everything back and do it in 20mm tubing and singles.

I got the NYY Cable off a friend for nothing. It was an off cut that he said would be perfect for a shed. I will take the 25mm Conduit and Clips back, that's not a problem. It was what the guys in the Wholesalers used. Turns out I can use 20mm. A little lesson learnt.

Each to their own. It looks awful clipped. As I am using it to build up a portfolio of work. Not just lashing cables in a shed for quickness.

Yes it is each to their own to a certain extent, but most of us would look at an installation which appears to be all flexible conduit clipped to a wall and assume it has been done by a DIYer.

Being a trainee earns you a fair amount of slack as far as replies to your posts go, but that is really getting quite close to insulting quite a few people and might make people less inclined to try and help.

If the cable is neatly installed then it will look a lot better than a flexible conduit clipped to the wall.

As I say each to their own. The cable will be neat, I just wanted to try using some flexible conduit as I am new to all this. I am only installing it then a qualified spark is connecting it all up and testing it.

I can't think of a single time where I would use 25mm metal tube
Common for fire alarm wiring.

I remember having to get two FP200s down a 20mm conduit when someone forgot to get 25mm, and I can assure you it wasn't much fun.

Yes it is each to their own to a certain extent, but most of us would look at an installation which appears to be all flexible conduit clipped to a wall and assume it has been done by a DIYer.

Being a trainee earns you a fair amount of slack as far as replies to your posts go, but that is really getting quite close to insulting quite a few people and might make people less inclined to try and help.

I am not trying to insult anyone. It is not my style, words can be misinterpreted. But I am trying to build a portfolio of work, I am trying to show that I have used various cables and have added in some mechanical protection, although not needed, to me it looks better and more pleasing when in place.

Also I have seen this guy who is fully qualified use flexible conduit:

I spent 14 years working for flexicon
There is not a lot I don’t know about flexible conduit
You say each to there own, it’s not something I would consider for a real job.

I am not trying to insult anyone. It is not my style, words can be misinterpreted. But I am trying to build a portfolio of work, I am trying to show that I have used various cables and have added in some mechanical protection, although not needed, to me it looks better and more pleasing when in place.

Also I have seen this guy who is fully qualified use flexible conduit:
Rob I never said I never use flexible conduit. We run hundreds of feet of steel conduit. Example we have to run 200 feet of pipe to a transformer then I will set a tee, flex in the transformer. We have people that run conduit and it is level and plumb and it’s pretty good looking, even if you have parallel runs I have to say it looks good and if it didn’t they would have to go back and fix it so we can pull wire. Again things are a lot in different than what y’all do. Nothing bad but we just choose to run pipe

I spent 14 years working for flexicon
There is not a lot I don’t know about flexible conduit
You say each to there own, it’s not something I would consider for a real job.

James it’s not about knowing a lot about flexible conduit, steel pipe if done right it’s looks

Reply to 25mm Knockout Metal Clad Boxes. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock