Discuss 25mm split con sub main eicr code? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bellendian

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just done an EICR on a domestic, the sub main running from origin to cu is 25mm split con. Hard to know if its more than 50mm deep in walls etc without intrusive investigation. So could run with FI, but obv that doesn't deliver a satisfactory report.
Bit of a tricky one as it would have complied with 16th, but the place appears to have been otherwise installed to 17th. Previous EIC 2009 plus dual rcd board. I'm leaning toward C3 but would like to hear opinions...cheers

I'd have to go with C3 too, but protecting this sub main at source with a 30ma RCD would also make it non compliant. :)
Exactly....that's my dillema...what is the 'improvement recommended'?
Split con conforms to BS7870, so we're not into SY/CY arguments, only change so far as I can tell, was that it was delisted as being suitable for being buried in building fabric less than 50mm deep without additional protection.
So a couple of test holes in plaster to prove depth, results in no code at all, no improvement required, and all is well?

It's unlikely to be greater than 50mm deep if it's chased in, so I'd assume it doesn't comply with current regulations.
The problem is that it doesn't have a complete armour layer connected to earth, most of the concentric layer is connected to neutral. So ordinarily it will function in the same way as far as preventing metal objects penetrating the cable from becoming live. However it is not technically compliant and you could argue that its possible there could be a neutral fault at the same time as someone hammers a picture hook into the cable.

I agree with the others that it should strictly be a C3, but I don't think it would be practical or economically viable to improve this considering how small the actual practical improvement would be.

It has an earthed sheath.
Not fully encasing the cable it doesn’t.
This will not comply with 522.6.204 indent (i )
Split con does not incorporate an earthed metallic covering which actually covers the entire cable

Last edited:
At one time split concentric was deemed suitable for being in a wall without additional rcd protection but was removed in the one of the amendments to the 16th Ed.

Reply to 25mm split con sub main eicr code? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock