Discuss 28% saving on Electricity Usage in Winter !! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

newtonflotman

I have just had my first Electricity bill in since having solar panels fitted. A small 1.44kw Sanyo HIT System SSE facing - No Shade. The figures show we have used 28 % less electricity (graphs show comparison against last years usage on EDF bill) even through the depths of winter. Hopefully in the summer months the Solar panels will kick in higher savings, hopefully 60% ish. My system is running around 8% better than estimated to date.
EDF can manage to send their Bills out on time, shame about getting the FIT contracts out. INSTALLED 26/11/11 and still waiting for contract!!!!

This is really good news that you see the benefits of solar PV, with the 28% reduction could I ask what your consumption was to start with and is now. It would just give other readers an idea of the total benefit you have gained.

Last year average per day this bill period( 04/12/11 to 20/03/12) was 25.87 kWh, this bill year dropped to average 18.55kWh per day (REDUCTION OF 28.29%). This is for a 10 year old Semi-detached, Medium sized 3 bed house with conservatory. Usual kitchen gizmos. 2 Adults and a Child. A couple of years ago changed 90% lights over to LED bulbs, put various things on timers and eco-switches.

Pv System = 6 x Sanyo N240SE with SMA 1200 Invertor.
Not my first choice of system but I got caught up in the December rush and stock shortages.
But comparing well with other systems locally on pvoutput.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have something high powered running all say don't you, either a computer, fish tank or something?? this is where the difference really shows a return in investment.

The lad who had my demo system installed on his house complained it made no difference to the size of his electricity bill, when I pointed out the rise in electricity prices over the period ne realised that was quite good!! Both out at work all day too.

And they say electricians are poorly paid ;)

It was on a tight budget............ £700 off e-bay...... trucktub.jpg

Interesting stuff. The annual consumption if you multiply up 25.87kwh is quite high. Are you sure the grid meter is not running backwards when the system is exporting? When this happens it is like being paid 13.5p plus 1.5p for every exported unit! Not quite the intention of the Feed In Tariff programme. Some FIT application forms ask if you have seen this happening. Also read the small print as you may be oblidged to tell your FIT provider if you do experience this. If you do not, it could be seen as fraudulent. Either way they will have the money back.

Working on the basis of no metering problems, how much this system contributes in the summer will depend largely on the load profile of the property, ie when you are consuming electricity. For most households there is a major mismatch between generation and consumption. Don't be disappointed if it is not as much as you may hope.

Working on the basis of no metering problems, how much this system contributes in the summer will depend largely on the load profile of the property, ie when you are consuming electricity. For most households there is a major mismatch between generation and consumption. Don't be disappointed if it is not as much as you may hope.

This is a big part of my survey presentation, as not many people think about their usage patterns or where the power goes. Changing usage habits is all part of the scheme. e.g. when I go out in the morning, the dishwasher is set to come on at about 11am (it goes on daily anyway, but better to minimise my export), in addition I also have an inverter switched immersion heater that will top up the hot water throughout the day.

Didnt have to go too far, tub was dropped by the pallet courier at my local building supplies depot, I only drove about 2 miles through town..............plenty of comments. The tub weighs about 400kg.......

I run a Tropical fish tank with heater, plus have a convector heater in use during winter months in conservatory. Try do do best with switching washing machine and dishwasher on at suitable times. A couple of years ago changed 90% of lights in house over to LED.

I run a Tropical fish tank with heater, plus have a convector heater in use during winter months in conservatory. Try do do best with switching washing machine and dishwasher on at suitable times. A couple of years ago changed 90% of lights in house over to LED.

I gathered as much, I run a marine tank and that alone uses about 20kwh a day.

1440kw system produced 181 kw within the 3 month billing period. I have a new style electronic meter in the house, so no dial to spin backwards. Light flashes red at various speeds depending on usage, goes solid red when exporting. I take it this is correct?
The Pv Inverter and meter is separate and in the garage.

Christ on a bike! That must be some tank.

Erm yes, I had to knock a wall out to put it in, the filter tank (sump) is 200 litres, it has 2 x 6000litre an hour pumps, UV steralizers, wave makers, just under a kw of lighting and just under 1kw heating. not to mention all the gizmos and gadgets.
mypetdog.jpg But its worth it to keep my ugly pet dogs

Erm yes, I had to knock a wall out to put it in, the filter tank (sump) is 200 litres, it has 2 x 6000litre an hour pumps, UV steralizers, wave makers, just under a kw of lighting and just under 1kw heating. not to mention all the gizmos and gadgets.
View attachment 11423 But its worth it to keep my ugly pet dogs

And Graeme Harrold thought his hot tub was expensive to run!!!

Reply to 28% saving on Electricity Usage in Winter !! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net