Discuss 2G Socket - Dual Earth Connection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ash_s3

Quick question, just wanted to see what others think about this.

Working on a job at the moment in offices, wiring and connecting sockets in dado trunking.

Was pulled-up today for connecting the two earth cables in the same terminal on the back of the dual socket.
Was told that each earth should be doubled back and terminated in individual earth terminals on the back of the socket. (MK sockets with dual earth)

However when i had a look at the back of the socket, the two earth terminals are joined together anyway.
Didnt want to question his knowledge but just thought it was a bit 'picky'

Was i just being 'put in my place' or is there a reg regarding this? Cant seem to find anything myself.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Quick question, just wanted to see what others think about this.

Working on a job at the moment in offices, wiring and connecting sockets in dado trunking.

Was pulled-up today for connecting the two earth cables in the same terminal on the back of the dual socket.
Was told that each earth should be doubled back and terminated in individual earth terminals on the back of the socket. (MK sockets with dual earth)

However when i had a look at the back of the socket, the two earth terminals are joined together anyway.
Didnt want to question his knowledge but just thought it was a bit 'picky'

Was i just being 'put in my place' or is there a reg regarding this? Cant seem to find anything myself.

Anyone got any thoughts?

More than likely high integrity earthing as it is in an office. ie split cpc's at sockets and cu / db.

Is it a ring or a radial circuit?

Last edited:
607-02-05 Where two protective conductors are used in accordance with Regulation 607-02-04 (iii), the ends of the protective conductors shall be terminated independently of each other at all connection points throughout the circuit. e.g. the distribution board, junction boxes and socket-outlets. This requires an accessory to be provided with two separate earth terminals.

Ah ha!

More than likely high integrity earthing as it is in an office. ie split cpc's at sockets and cu / db.

Ring, wired in 4mm T+E

Last edited by a moderator:
You got it then.

Tidy!

Ive found on the net about high integrity earthing needed on items with high earth leakage, so IT equipment right?

You really do learn something everyday!

It is in the regs--- somewhere.

A lot of office blocks and office refurbs etc should now be installed this way.

Ill see if i can find it.

Edit Found --- 543.7.1.4

Not sure where you got your reg number from:confused:

Yeah, defo need to be in seperate terminals. Have you looked in the D/board they are fed from, how are the earths connected in there?

I HATE HAVING TO TERMINATE OFFICE D/Bs!!!!!!
Q. How many boards have twice as many earth terminals as outgoing ways?????
A. None that I've ever seen! :mad:

I've asked NICEIC tech and they say you can't add an "external" or "additional" earth terminals, such as marshalling blocks as they're not type tested and the whole board would need a kitemark type test! :mad::mad::mad:

Agreed, absoloutley (sp) stupid. You are meant to combine earths from different circuits, i.e. leg one of circuit one goes into terminal one. Leg 2 goes into terminal 2, along with leg 1 of circuit 2 and so on. Makes testing a lot of fun, especially with those crappy rcd earth leads.
You can buy additional (longer) earth bars, although not necessarily for this purpose.

Agreed the testing is confusing when terminated into adjacent terminals, always a hassle to work out whi earth is for which circuit, esp if single cores. NICEIC complained when I did this (on an inspection) and told me to put both CPC's into the same terminal so it was easy to follow.

Reply to 2G Socket - Dual Earth Connection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net