Discuss 2phase spot welder. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

airwave1882

Hi I've been given the task of wiring up a 2 phase spot welder, after being told to go and just plug it into a 16 amp socket I found out it takes 43 amp and so told them it needs a hole new circuit. I read the manufactures instructions and found it said for the machine they have. I need 10mm cable on a 45amp 3 phase rcd. Can't get a 45amp 3 phase rcd only 40 or a 63. I can get a 50 amp mcb. So the question is can i put the 63amp 3 phase rcd down line of the 50 amp mcb ? Thanks Lee

Are you sure the manufacturers specify an RCD? It's highly unusual for this type of equipment. There's no reason I can see that you can't install the RCD upstream or downstream of the OCPD.

Have you any details or a link so we can see what the manufacturer has written, agree rcd is unusual in this case and also who told you to plug it into to 16amp outlet? .... are you not the Electrician here, unless you were just following your bosses orders in which case tell him he's a numpty.

To be told the cable size too sounds strange unless its just saying about the flex and plug needed on the unit.

Wire a 63amp 3ph outlet with the appropriate cable for the installation calcs the plug and play would be the normal routine here but I'd be ringing tech' services and asking about the rcd recommendation?

Just a quick heads up,recently at our farm we've bought a lot of new equipment,welders,plasma arcs etc and a lot of this gear mentions the use of an RCD,maybe it's a new thing the manufacturers are recommending for transportable equipment.

I wouldn't of put one in. It's just that information says put an rcd in. The other spot welder which is a mobile one not bolted down like this one hasn't got an rcd.

I had been told there was a 3p socket for me to wire it into, but on arrival it was only 16 amp. 3phase.
Going to ring manufacturer its a surewekd spot welder. Sureweld PB PBP Pedestal Rocker Arm

Reply to 2phase spot welder. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net