Discuss 3.6kw oven on a 13amp plug top. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markthespark

Hello i have been asked to install an oven that is 3.6kw, i am wondering whether this would be fine plugged into a socket behind the existing oven taking into account diversity.

or whether i need to put it on its own radial supply.

Is there anyway of fusing a ring main down to 16amps?

Thanks.

Well I can tell you now I have a 3.6kw cooker on a plug top in my house, it has worked flawlessly for years. Please don't listen to my advice though.

Hello i have been asked to install an oven that is 3.6kw, i am wondering whether this would be fine plugged into a socket behind the existing oven taking into account diversity.

Thanks.

What do the Manufacturers Instructions tell you??

The manufacturers instructions will likely require a 16A connection. I've been called to two of these this month - it seems that that a lot of the new ovens require a larger supply than the old ones.

Thanks.

I have noticed most ovens that used to come already fitted with a 13Amp plug,now just have terminals for you to connect your own cable and I think there is a clue there (manufacturers are aware that a 3.6kw oven may work fine on a 13Amp plug ...for a while.) . When you go to cook Christmas dinner and the oven is working at full capacity for long hours then i would consider diversity to be a bit of a red herring mainly used by lazy and/or incompetent fitters, to avoid installing a new 20Amp radial,so they just throw it in a socket designed for 13 Amps max despite the appliance being capable of pulling 14 amps..!
A 3.6kw cooker needs a 4mm hofr (heatproof) cable from cooker to 20Amp isolation point,then feed isolation point in 4mm pvc twin + earth and protect circuit with 20Amp ocpd.

Have you ever seen what a 2kw heater can do to a plug top? Putting a modern oven on a plug is what you call sailing close to the wind

I have noticed most ovens that used to come already fitted with a 13Amp plug,now just have terminals for you to connect your own cable and I think there is a clue there (manufacturers are aware that a 3.6kw oven may work fine on a 13Amp plug ...for a while.) . When you go to cook Christmas dinner and the oven is working at full capacity for long hours then i would consider diversity to be a bit of a red herring mainly used by lazy and/or incompetent fitters, to avoid installing a new 20Amp radial,so they just throw it in a socket designed for 13 Amps max despite the appliance being capable of pulling 14 amps..!
A 3.6kw cooker needs a 4mm hofr (heatproof) cable from cooker to 20Amp isolation point,then feed isolation point in 4mm pvc twin + earth and protect circuit with 20Amp ocpd.

Have you ever seen what a 2kw heater can do to a plug top? Putting a modern oven on a plug is what you call sailing close to the wind
No I haven't what happens?

It's only a thought but 7671 RECOMENDS that any fixed load over 2KW ought to be on it's own circuit

Like this?
698a70ffbcb829e40adb3c775f1b8b87.jpg

---- job chasing that socket in though....

is 8 amps big connected to a 13 amp plug top?

If the plug has got a 3 Amp fuse in it,then yes ,8 Amps is big.
I think you are avoiding the not insignificant point that it is not good practice to try to protect equipment with a potential operating current of 14 Amps on a 13 Amp plug. No amount of lateral thinking or outright belligerence will change the fact. 14 Amps with 13 Amp protection = No.

Reply to 3.6kw oven on a 13amp plug top. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net