Discuss 3 amp fuse and extractor fan in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

teknojon

Hello -
I inadvertently wired a bathroom timed extractor fan without fitting the 3 amp spur - there is a 3 pole etc.
the bathroom circuit comes off the lighting circuit for that floor so I can't change the mcb to a 3 amp.
the bathroom has been boarded and plastered to a nice high standard, it is in a loft conversion so no access from above and it would be very bad news to have to knock a hole somewhere and try to fit a spur to the bathroom feed.
can you buy extractor fans with built in 3 a fuses?
the feed to the bathroom goes straight to a loop-in in a choc box above a downlight - could i fin an in-line 3a fuse here before the rose?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

A 3 amp fuse and a 6 amp mcb are likely to have a photo finish to see who will disconnect first in the event of a fault :)

It may be a manufacturers recomendation for the particular fan,and we should follow their instructions,but, ,its safe as it is,its got adequate overcurrent protection and an isolator for maintenance

Manufacturers like to suggest 3 amp fuses, but being safety consious(sarcasm here) they dont see the need or like the idea of going to the trouble themselves of fitting a fuse so,

Dont worry about it

phew - cheers Des,
it's a bit of a nightmare job and i've fallen out with the guy supervising the build. i was worried that if i had to leave the job and he contracted another sparky, he would then have ammo against me should the new sparks realise the missing spur...
So - it's not compulsory to fit the 3 a spur then, just recommended?

thanks for your help

We don't generally fit a spur. Feed in to the light switch then run a 3-core from there to the 3 pole FI then off to the fan. As des said earlier 3a-6a very close. Very little chance of danger occuring...:D

usually manufacturers instructions (on certain types) require fusing down, and unfortunately as youre the subcontractor if its in the spec or the manu instructions it should be fitted - although as Des stated it wont really cause any probs.

A case arose where a fan caught fire and although it was nothing to do with a 3 amp fuse not being fitted the contractor was beaten in court by the manufacturer for not following instructions.

If you really do want to fuse it down, we put these inline fuse carriers in on all the fans in a nursing home after a fire was caused by one of them, all 125 of them :D

FX0185_400px.jpg

You must remember that it is a requirement of the Regulations that manufacturers' instructions be adhered to. Therefore if the manufacturer requires a 3A BS1362 fuse and you don't fit one, then by default you haven't complied with BS7671:2008.

Your best bet is to fit it regardless of whether it serves any useful purpose or not.

Hi all i can relate to this thread have just done the same thing the inline fuse is a great idea can you tell me would you fit two inline fuses to a fan one for the switch line and one fore the live supply and will they fit in the back of a deep box behind the isolating switch hope you can advise me on this many thanks

Reply to 3 amp fuse and extractor fan in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net