Discuss 3 double sockets and wall light? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

As the title suggests, 3 double sockets and a wall light.... As a customer what price would you have in your mind? You know nothing, you just want these 3 sockets and a light in your newly constructed conservatory :)

Come on, it's the weekend. You know we have to play this game lol

Erm? Well You're the sparkies so you tell me! All I want is three double sockets and a bloomin wall light, cannot be that much of a fuss surely lmao ;)

Has the walls been finished ?
Is there sockets anywhere near them ? Is there even power in the building ?
Yes e are the sparks the ones with brains and there is no way your ripping me off just like I don't rip you off.
£20 an hour until job is done and you pay for materials after I tell you what you need. Lol

Okay okay, I give in. 3 Sockets, Let's say a fiver each shall we plus a wall light at a tenner that's got to be it right?

£25.00 in parts and 10 minutes labour, call it £50 quid absolute max right?

Oh dear.... My £550 quote is going to look a little out of favour then lmao.

BS3036 fuses, undersized tails and earth on TNS supply. No equipotential mains bonding to gas and water (water concealed behind newly installed kitchen) External route only and bollards to getting involved in any testing and additions to the existing installation from the information I was provided with on my visit lol

I thought I would make a thread out of it as I'm just consuming my 4th Pint of Strongbow, seemed like an interesting topic to me... The Strongbow, not the job! FFS See all too many of these clients unfortunately but at least this golden fizzy stuff puts a smile on my face :D:D:D

17:58 I hear you say? It's the weekend and what's god for some is good enough for me. Enjoy your weekend everyone:thumbsup

I'm guessing this is a ratedpeople/myhammer type job and on the basis of that I'll say the budget is a ridiculous <£100

Not on this occasion trev. I always promised myself that I would never work for a builder but I've found myself completing two installations for one now and this is the third that I went to view. No chance I will get this one, not in a million years if I am honest. If there are any cowboys on here operating in Bristol I would love to pass this on to you.... Oh but I won't of course because that would be ILLEGAL!!!

This is just one of those jobs where I did not want to turn up and see what I saw when being told it was just 3 sockets and a wall light:vanish:

There's a conservatory builder near us who offered me the chance of all of his electrical work but he expected 2 double sockets and a light for £100 every single time. No variation allowed. Yes I'll accept that there will be occassions where the job will be a doddle and that would be ok but 9 times out of 10 the job will be a pig, there'll be all sorts of issues to sort out and it would be unfeasible for that. He just couldn't see it and now uses our eastern european brethren.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully for me this job was actually closer to my home than the last two;)

The builder wants me to break into the ring which in fairness would have been the easiest option BUT on this instance I most definitely want to keep my work separate from anything else that is going on inside that property. It seems like the classic example of we have this luxury/that luxury but........ we still have an old consumer unit and plenty of recent additions/alterations carried out by family members/diyers

"He now uses our eastern european brethren"
Trev , I can understand him using eastern europeans over Geordies, at least the eastern europeans speak english.:tounge_smile::tounge_smile:

Don't forget some people think all you have to do is screw it to the wall and bluetooth electricity makes it work.
My own wife and daughter think that mate, when I rewired our place a few years back she who would like to be obeyed asked me if there was not another way to do it other than having boards up and running cables.

My own wife and daughter think that mate, when I rewired our place a few years back she who would like to be obeyed asked me if there was not another way to do it other than having boards up and running cables.

The answer being yes "Pay someone else lot's more money and still have boards up running cables, not knowing their competence and possibly run the risk of them scouring through her drawers in the process":joker:

Last edited by a moderator:
"He now uses our eastern european brethren"
Trev , I can understand him using eastern europeans over Geordies, at least the eastern europeans speak english.:tounge_smile::tounge_smile:
There are occassions when I can converse perfectly properly and enunciate my words very well in order that all can comprehend.

A customers mind can be a strange thing, as can a builders!

Quite recently I priced a full rewire on a 3 bedroom house, and 2 other firms also priced it. They decided not to go ahead with the works as they had been expecting it to cost in the region of £500.

"There are occassions when I can converse perfectly properly and enunciate my words very well in order that all can comprehend."

Now yuove lost me guvner, I'm just apoor unedumacated kid from the east end of london

Reply to 3 double sockets and wall light? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net