Discuss 3 Gang and 2 Gang -2 way wall switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello Every one ,
I just joined. I am looking for help in wiring a 3 and 2 Gang- 2 way switch.
I will be using the 3 gangs as 1 way switches, and a couple of the 2 Gangs a 2 way switches. Switches were imported from china, and came without any diagrams. I checked on the internet and found many diagrams, but they all show 2 and 3 COM pole terminals. My switches have only L1, L1.1 and L1.2 and L2, L2.1, and L2.2 etc marked at the terminals. see pic of the 3 gang 2 way below. Could someone please tell me how to wire this switch , for both 1 way, and two way lighting.
Thank you
Conrad
3 Gang and 2 Gang -2 way wall switches upload_2019-5-29_14-8-19 - EletriciansForums.net

Without testing it is difficult to be certain.
L1, L2 and L3 are probably the three Commons.
L11, L21 and L31 are probably the three L1s.
L12, L22 and L32 are probably the L2s.
So the switch terminals are:
L1, L11 and L13, L1 being common and L11 and L13 being the other terminals to the switch.
That is speculative as it should be tested to confirm.

Do you have something that beeps or lights up if you touch 2 ends together?
Continuity tester?
I recommend; put that switch in the bin.
But the switches you need from a reputable outlet

Do you have something that beeps or lights up if you touch 2 ends together?
Continuity tester?
I recommend; put that switch in the bin.
But the switches you need from a reputable outlet

OP is in Thailand, so even though imported from China, that may be all that's available.

that is a three gang switch, each gang is a two way. L1 is the common for that gang (live in from the circuit), L1.1 is switch live 1 (to go to the light fixture) and L1.2 is switch live 2 ( used for two way control). on order to have two way switching you will need another switch like that
a photo of your switch backbox would help to identify what sort of wiring method you are using... if any!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I wired all the L1/L2/L3 together and powered L1, and a test lamp, and used the other leg of the test lamp on the L1.1/L2.1/L3.1, and the lamp lights when switches in closed position. when the switches are in open or OFF position the L1.3/L2.3/L3.3 are alive and light up the lamp.
Its just a NC , NO setup . I will be using all the 3 Gang 2 way as one way switches, and need only two areas where I need two way, and that is in the Garage, and one in the Garden.
Thanks a lot for the enlightenment.

Reply to 3 Gang and 2 Gang -2 way wall switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock