Discuss 3 gang light switch issues, is it wired incorrectly? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all.

For years now I've used Phillips Hue smart bulbs in my 3, ceiling mounted lounge lights and have therefore never needed to switch them individually.

I've recently redecorated and moved to a light fixture that cannot take Phillips Hue smart bulbs, so I have decided to go from a 3 gang switch, to a three dimmer switch. However, when I was idly switching the light switches to see which light was which, I realised some odd behaviour, and it now throws me into doubt regarding wiring up the dimmer switches.

Lights are listed 1, 2 and 3, as per the image below named 'Lounge.jpg'. Their corresponding switches are labelled in image 'FrontOfSwitch.jpg'.

The problem is that in order to switch on lights 2, or 3, 1 must also be on. It is possible to have light 1 on, 2 off and 3 on, or light 1 on, 2 on and 3 off, but if light 1 is ever off, lights 2 and 3 will not turn on.

Is this a limitation of the wiring to the lights (i.e. they all spur off 1), or is this simply an incorrectly wired switch?

Furthermore, would it be possible to switch to a three gang dimmer switch, and be able to address each light individually?

Many thanks!

TL;DR
light 1 must be on, in order for lights 2 and 3 to come on, in a 3 gang switch. How do I fix this?

Attachments

• 3 gang light switch issues, is it wired incorrectly? BackofSwitch - EletriciansForums.net
    BackofSwitch.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 3 gang light switch issues, is it wired incorrectly? FrontOfSwitch - EletriciansForums.net
    FrontOfSwitch.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 3 gang light switch issues, is it wired incorrectly? Lounge - EletriciansForums.net
    Lounge.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 3 gang light switch issues, is it wired incorrectly? Wires - EletriciansForums.net
    Wires.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 25
The way you are saying it is working suggests the wires connected in L1 an L2 on switch 1 are reversed with L2 being the live and the wire to L1 is the switch wire if you isolate the lighting circuit and swap the wires round on switch 1 leaving the link wires as they are all the switches should then work independently,

Ah amazing, thanks UNG! All working now.

Can you see any reason that a dimmer set-up wouldn't work here? I can't.

No it should work ok if you have LED lamps they need to be dimmable and make sure you get a dimmer that is suitable for dimmable LED lamps

Nice one, thanks. I didn't realise that the dimmer also had to be compatible with LED's, the more you know!

Reply to 3 gang light switch issues, is it wired incorrectly? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock