Discuss 3 Gang Switch Question??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chrisgc

Hi

I need to put a 3 gang switch so that it controls the following 3 items Independently:

1) Main hall lights (this will be controlled 2 way from either end of hall)
2) Front inside porch light (controlled from only one location)
3) Kitchen lights (this will be controlled 2 way from either end of room.

Can someone please give me some step by step instructions please to help guide me. I would be very grateful.

Also do some place like tlc do 3 gang switches for my scenario above.

Chris

Are you replacing an existing switch arrangement or is this a completely new installation?

feed L/N looped through each light fitting. take a switch wire from each light to the 3 gang switch. run 2 3 cores from 3 gang switch, 1 to each of the other 2 way switches. i could draw a diagrtam, but can't put it on computer. no doubt a member with better computer skilss can do that.

feed L/N looped through each light fitting. take a switch wire from each light to the 3 gang switch. run 2 3 cores from 3 gang switch, 1 to each of the other 2 way switches. i could draw a diagrtam, but can't put it on computer. no doubt a member with better computer skilss can do that.

A diagram would be good if someone can please.

Also do tlc or similar sell the 3 gang switch as the only ones I have seen are 3 gang - 2 way. Not sure if this is the correct type for my situation.

Definately would be good if someone could do the diagram.

Chris

Two of the circuits are bog standard 2 way switches, the other is an intermediate. You can buy at any good wholesaler a multi functional switch. You don't need a diagram, just think about each circuit one at a time.

Two of the circuits are bog standard 2 way switches, the other is an intermediate. You can buy at any good wholesaler a multi functional switch. You don't need a diagram, just think about each circuit one at a time.

paul.m - any chance you can give me correct name for type of switch I am after?

I have the usual tlc and b&q near me (couple of others but not been to them before) but cant appear to find what I am looking for?

Thanks

There's a few members looking at this right now, can you tell him what he needs. All I can come up with is:- ask your wholesaler for a 3 gang, 2 x 2 way and an intermediate switch please, that's what I ask for and that's what I get. Just make sure you ask for a 45mm deep back box to make it easier for yourself.

This isn't rocket science!
I'm guessing that he hasn't done it before. Give him some slack mate. I was like this when I had the same problem, at least he's got us lot to ask. Ps don't forget about the deeper backbox, you now owe me a pint ;).

Last edited:

May be my glasses of red have impaired my judgement but why the imtermediate?

Yes Murdoch and Waynel I've just re-read the op. All he needs is a 3 gang 2 x 2 way and a single way. To the op just ask for that at a wholesalers and he will give you what you need, just remember when your wiring it that its 3 circuits (basic I know but) take each circuit at a time and you will be fine. Any problems give us a shout.

Anyone with a definitive answer as this is bugging me as done a lot of searching. And eyes are starting to look like a Chinese Insomniac.

WayneL - So with a 3 gang 2 way what is the correct wiring arrangement?

Thanks

Ok Chris listen:- how would you wire up a one way switch? How would you wire up a 2 way switch x 2? That's all your asking. Break it down to each circuit at each switch point. Draw a circuit diagram first if your not too sure.

Hi

I need to put a 3 gang switch so that it controls the following 3 items Independently:

1) Main hall lights (this will be controlled 2 way from either end of hall)
2) Front inside porch light (controlled from only one location)
3) Kitchen lights (this will be controlled 2 way from either end of room.

Can someone please give me some step by step instructions please to help guide me. I would be very grateful.

Also do some place like tlc do 3 gang switches for my scenario above.

Chris

WayneL - So with a 3 gang 2 way what is the correct wiring arrangement?

All your power should be at the lights using the 3 plate system

The easiest one is the porch which will just be a case of run the switch wire from the light to the switch.

The other two both require a switch wire but they will also need connected with them a 3 core and cpc that will go from the 3 gang switch to the ones at the other location.

Easy, as taught by the 5MW lol ---

PS Don't forget to ident your switch wires (blue) with brown sleeving at the rose and switches. Including the black and grey on the 3 core and CPC ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Chris let's put it this way. If the customer said he wants 3 single switches to operate the 3 lights that wouldn't be a problem as you can picture in your head 3 different switches. A 3 gang switch is just 3 different switches in one box. As your running each cable for each circuit one at a time just think that your only going to one switch (witch you are really). Then do the same for the other two circuits. Keep to the basics my friend, live feed in = live switch wire out = live feed to the light. Regardless of a 1 way, 2 way or intermediate circuit they all need a live in, live feed and a switch live to the fitting.

Reply to 3 Gang Switch Question??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock