Discuss 3 layers of plasterboard stud wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
has anyone else ever come across a stud wall that consists of 3 layers of plasterboard just stuck together.

I thought it i had a nice easy job of cutting out a couple of fastfix boxes and fishing tv and Power cables into loft but as i was cutting out the boxes i realised it was a bit thick, double boarded i assumed so started cutting a bit deeper but then realised i had daylight! went straight through to the kids room the other side!! after a lot of head scratching/measuring i realised the wall consists of 3 sheets of plasterboard basically stuck together dot and dab style. Didn't come across any timber but i'm guessing there had to something somewhere.
The complete thickness of the wall was only about 70mm so couldn't as even fish cables up as it was too tight and had to chase the whole route up which i lost a lot of time on!

Never come across a stud wall like it, didnt know if anyone else had? The housing estate was built approx late 80's.

I think all the 1st floor walls were the same. Had to extend the ring from another socket in a different room and same thing. Quite embarrassing to try and explain why i cut a nice line into their kids bedroom wall

Thinking of single brick walls.
Good few years ago, refitting a local main street shop. Labourer was upstairs sinking a box in a wall for a socket outlet, when I heard a loud "Oh S***".
Shot upstairs to find him looking through a hole into next door..............Barclays Bank.

Went round apologising for breaking in.

Yes, I've seen it a few times on an old council estate here - rows of 5 or 6 terraces, built in the late 70's or early 80's.
Brick/block outer, it is the internal walls, between the houses that are 6 plasterboard sheets thick.
Complete rubbish build quality, but it was a cheap fast solution back then. These also have the cheap brittle black plastic pipe for their plumbing - bang the pipes and they shatter.

They're like that on a housing estate near me but only 2 sheets and they were built in the 90's, i like you found out the hard way but only realised once i had cut all the way around! Doh!

Hi,
has anyone else ever come across a stud wall that consists of 3 layers of plasterboard just stuck together.

I thought it i had a nice easy job of cutting out a couple of fastfix boxes and fishing tv and Power cables into loft but as i was cutting out the boxes i realised it was a bit thick, double boarded i assumed so started cutting a bit deeper but then realised i had daylight! went straight through to the kids room the other side!! after a lot of head scratching/measuring i realised the wall consists of 3 sheets of plasterboard basically stuck together dot and dab style. Didn't come across any timber but i'm guessing there had to something somewhere.
The complete thickness of the wall was only about 70mm so couldn't as even fish cables up as it was too tight and had to chase the whole route up which i lost a lot of time on!

Never come across a stud wall like it, didnt know if anyone else had? The housing estate was built approx late 80's.

Its not a stud wall as such. It was known as a laminated wall. Early 80's. one thick layer in the middle. Sparks had to cut the boxes in and wire up to, then the dry liner would dot and dab a thinner sheet each side. Totally sh**e system. Glad it dropped out of fashion. Best of luck with it. Lol :)

wait till you try and sink a box in 2" thick cinder block as i have found in some ex-council houses. only way is to cut right through, gob in back to back boxes with one-coat and return next day when it's gone off.

wait till you try and sink a box in 2" thick cinder block as i have found in some ex-council houses. only way is to cut right through, gob in back to back boxes with one-coat and return next day when it's gone off.

Can usually cut the cinder block with blunt spoon as well.

Had the builders out a few years back to fill in a door way in my house and they said it couldn't be done as they just found 3 layers of plasterboard (80's build). I suggested they just put 3 more boards up so they did! The timbers must be very flimsy!

Most of the early 80s houses in Taunton (Somerset) are built like that. A pain in the backside. I use a bosch multitool to saw through the first board and bit of the second then chisel the channel out in the usual way, but with great care. Then convince the client they need surface boxes.......

Came across plasterboard today that was just 35mm off the block wall, including the depth of the board. Complete nightmare to fix anything to.

Sounds perfect for a plastic patress...? Am I missing something...? They are 35mm deep! What were you trying to do/ have I misread your post?

20mm hole in board
35mm of 20mm plastic conduit as a sleeve, to avoid bridging the thermal barrier.
Drill wall, long screw and plug,, done.

Or window frame fixings as they have a built in sleeve.

Reply to 3 layers of plasterboard stud wall in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock