Discuss 3 monthly tests on construction sites in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BristolSpark

Hi

Regarding 3 monthly tests on a site. Does anyone have an idea of the best way or the way to go about such a test. Its all live and running and power will probably not be allowed to get turned off.

Any deas.

What tests should be done and far into the circuits should I tests

There will be cabins, plus general site supplies, transformers hoists ect...

any help would be good.

thanks

Agree there.

Would have to be done after hours and should have a FULL PIR.

A lot can happen to an installation in three months on a site!

thanks for the reply guys. You would recommend a full PIR then and out of hours.

My boss wants it doing day time, wont pay for the out of hours lol.

So I guess I can only do Ze, Zs tests then. plus RCD trip times.

Any other thoughts on this...

Its one of my first site tests......

You wont be able to do Ze as you need to disconnect any main bonds, which you cannot do unless the installation is isolated.

Can you not just do the tests out of hours and charge normal rate?

Something is better than nothing!

Hi Jason

Job not done yet. Client done want out of hours work, as it would mean somebody from management having to stay on site. Boss dont want to pay overtime rate for out of hours.

I aint really sure now what tests I can really do apart from functional and I thought Ze with a three wire test lead. general visual around.

Any further advice my friend

Ze is a three wire test, however, it SHOULD be performed with main bonds disconnected otherwise your result will include any parallel paths, and this does not ensure that earthing is achieved via the main incoming earth.

Disagree gents. I have been doing this kind of stuff on cabins for about a month solid now. Most sites realise that your only trying to ensure their safety and can live with a power down for about 20-30 mins per cabin. Of course the set ups I have to do may vary from what you do but mine involve a 3 phase board feeding individually CU in the cabin so I just lock off at the three phase board, test away, then power CU up and finish off. I should qualify the statement with I am only there to test the cabins on behalf of the guys who rent them out to the site and not the generator/ supply, that is out of my remit

For what it's worth the Site Agent/Foreman gets his bits chewed by H&S if the cabins are not tested up to date so hes normally happy to see me, and when I get a grumble or two I politely explain that I am testing the installation to ensure your safety blah blah. Winds there neck in a bit most times.

Last edited:
If your gonna sign the cert do it right regardless of what problems the customer throws at you. At the end of the day it'll be you in court trying to explain a partially completed cert to a judge.
When it comes to 3 month site periodics I always think of the time some idiot bypassed a rcd cos of nuisence tripping. The burried swa had risen in the mud and was rubbing against the metal ramp to the cabin. Next guy to walk in was electricuted and was dead before the ambulance arrived.
At the end of the day do it right, you just might save someones life

Reply to 3 monthly tests on construction sites in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock