Discuss 3 Phase Advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

I haven't done any 3 Phase work for some time but I have just been asked to wire up a new woodworking workshop.

There will be 6 - 7, 3 pahse machines all ballanced load machines (4 pin plugs, 3 ph & e)

3 - 4 single phase machines, 2 x 32A ring socket cicuits and a couple of lighting circuits

The main incomer (35mm SWA) is protected back at the mains board by a 100A 100mA ELCB.

I need to install a new 3 phase board in the workshop (any recommendations for a good board?)

I know all sockets up to 32A require RCD protection now, so do I install a mains incomming 4 pole RCD in the new board (I know with this if anything tripped he would loose everything!), separate RCD's to all the 3 phase sockets (expensive, also I can ony find 4 pole rcds so I would need to spec a much bigger board & how would they work on a balanced 3 phase load with no neutral?), or can I hardwire all the 3 phase machines in to avoid fitting RCD's to all the circuits? and just fit rcbo's to socket and lighting ciruits and possibly the single phase machines and then would you keep the 4 pole RCD incomer?

Thanks
Garry

The main incomer (35mm SWA) is protected back at the mains board by a 100A 100mA ELCB.

I need to install a new 3 phase board in the workshop (any recommendations for a good board?)

I know all sockets up to 32A require RCD protection now, so do I install a mains incomming 4 pole RCD in the new board (I know with this if anything tripped he would loose everything!), separate RCD's to all the 3 phase sockets (expensive, also I can ony find 4 pole rcds so I would need to spec a much bigger board & how would they work on a balanced 3 phase load with no neutral?), or can I hardwire all the 3 phase machines in to avoid fitting RCD's to all the circuits? and just fit rcbo's to socket and lighting ciruits and possibly the single phase machines and then would you keep the 4 pole RCD incomer?
Why is there a RCD at the source, is it a TT earthing system?
What is the wiring system, why RCD for lights?
Doubt RCD's are needed for machines

On TT you really have little choice but to have a delay (S-type) RCD as an incomer otherwise you won't disconnect on a earth fault. 100mA is fine, some cases you might go for 300mA.

Hard-wire the machines if you can, avoids the RCD need and unless they are really likely to move all you need is a local isolator switch for safe maintenance.

For the single phase stuff you can probably put in one or two RCBO for a ring and/or the odd radial. Again if it is fixed position then hard-wire and no RCD needed, but you might just find it easy to put small stuff on 13A plugs.

Ideally the RCBO would be double-pole so a N-E fault won't trip the incomer, but that is unusual to find for a TPN board. Given any risk of faults taking out the lights while machines are running I would put in at least one or two with emergency battery back-up built in (or from a even a power cut).

I don't do this commercially so can't really say much beyond I found the Hager boards to be fine, and they have matching DIN enclosures for anything fancy you need to add. Schneider also are well regarded.

Reply to 3 Phase Advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock